2018-2019 Sugar Bears Dance Team Auditions
Auditions are scheduled for April 21 & 22, 2018 for the 2018-19 Sugar Bears Dance Team in the East Court of Hammons Student Center. Check-in is from 9:00-9:30am on Saturday, April 21. Please be stretched and ready to go by 9:30am. Finalists will be posted following tabulation of day 1, and finalists will be invited back on Sunday, April 22. Here is what you need in order to participate in auditions:
1. Attend a clinic on April 8 and or April 15 (including submitting the signed Release/Waiver, Photocopy of Health Insurance card front & back, and your clinic fee)
2. Submit your Tryout Application at clinic registration on either April 8 or April 15
3. Current Physical signed by an MD or DO clearing your within the past 6 months to participate in dance team activities (due with application on April 8 or April 15)
4. Provide proof of acceptance to Missouri State for Fall 2018 (incoming freshmen and transfer students) - due with application on April 8 or 15
5. Submit photocopy of Spring 2018 & Fall 2018 schedules & printout of unofficial transcript from my.missouristate.edu (current MSU Students) - due with application on April 8 or 15
6. $50 tryout processing fee (includes both clinics & auditions) - due with application on April 8 or 15
*A GPA of 2.0 cumulative and semester is required for auditions and to participate in the Spirit Squads.
Below are the requirements for last year's auditions. The details for the 2018-2019 Auditions will be finalized by the end of January 2018, but the dates are scheduled.
Attire for 2017-18 Auditions: cropped, sleeveless dance top and fitted dance shorts (top & shorts may be any color, but no high waisted shorts & no tights) and jazz shoes. Wear the same dance outfit both days. Warmup pants and tennis shoes may be worn for the hip hop portion of the audition.
Hair & Make up for 2017-18: Wear performance make up both days. Wear your hair either in a ponytail or pulled back out of your face for Saturday. You will need to be able to do turns and tricks without your hair getting in the way. Finalists should arrive Sunday morning with hair down and styled for a photo shoot. It is also requested that you wear lipstick for the photoshoot that will go with maroon. Your lipcolor and makeup for the auditions should compliment your tryout attire (and you). You can wear your hair half up or pinned out of your face for finals, and a ponytail will be permitted any time we are working on turns or tricks.
2017-18 Evaluations: You will learn and be evaluated on new choreography in jazz, as well as the pom and hip hop choreography from the clinics. Finalists will perform a jazz solo routine containing the following elements: center leap, two 8-counts of seconds, a quad or triple pirouette, an element to show your flexibility, and choreography that showcases your showmanship and musicality. The routine should be between 50-60 seconds long. Finalists will also participate in an interview. Finalists will need to provide their solo music on a CD or an MP3/iPod/phone. We will have a cd player and an aux cord with our sound system. Please make sure the song is the first or only song on the CD or playlist.
*The application and release form, as well as the finalized details for the 2018-19 Sugar Bears Auditions will be available on this website by the end of January 2018.
Follow us on Twitter: @MSU_SugarBears and like us on Facebook: Missouri State Sugar Bears Dance Team to make sure you get the latest updates. Contact Sugar Bears Coach, Susan Brown, at SusanBrown@MissouriState.edu with any questions about the Sugar Bears Dance Team.
The 2018-2019 Sugar Bears Dance Team has the following mandatory summer commitments in Springfield:
- June 8 - MarooNation Ball - Springfield
- TBA - Calendar Photo Shoot & practices
- August 16 -19 - Dorm Move-In & Back to School practices and events