If there is a power outage, employees should call the Radio Communication Center (417-836-5509) or the Work Management Center (417-836-8400).
Give the following information:
- Name and telephone number
- Exact location of the utility failure (building, floor, room number, nature of the problem, person making the call and extension)
Evacuation during a power outage
Evacuate while emergency lights are on during a power failure, if there is no natural light. Do not reenter the building until there is power.
Emergency lighting is temporary and is not provided to continue building operations.
Follow-up procedures from the RCC
RCC forwards the information to the Work Management Center and notifies:
- Public safety supervisor on duty
- All on-duty public safety officers
- Assistant director of safety
- Director of university safety
If there is a power failure covering a large area, the RCC will:
- Contact the power house/work management, or a designee.
- Activate emergency notification list.
- Assess whether a full or partial evacuation of the building is necessary.
- Assign public safety officers to check each office and classroom in the building to see if anyone needs help.
- Close all labs using or storing chemicals and relying upon special ventilation equipment.
- Assign public safety officers to secure the building.