Procedures before a fire
Know the location of fire extinguishers, fire exits and alarm systems in your area and how to use them.
Procedures during a minor fire
- Go to the nearest alarm station, and pull the alarm.
- Dial 911, then call Campus Safety (836-5509).
- Use the fire extinguisher to control the fire, if possible.
Procedures during a large fire
- Dial 911, then call Campus Safety. (836-5509).
- Activate the building alarm and walk to the nearest marked exit. Ask others to do the same.
- Evacuate all rooms and close all doors to confine the fire and reduce oxygen.
- Exit the building and assist people with impairments in exiting the building.
- Move to a clear area, 500 feet away from the building.
- Stay outside the building unless told to renter by an official.
Things to keep in mind
- Smoke is the greatest danger in a fire, so stay near the floor where the air will be less toxic.
- Do not lock doors.
- Do not use elevators.
- Do not panic.