The possession of firearms on property owned or controlled by Missouri State University is governed by Governing policy G2.202 Possession of Firearms Policy in accordance with Mo. Rev. Stat. § 571.030. Possession of firearms and other weapons are generally prohibited on campus, except:
- In specific circumstances where necessary to fulfill academic and extracurricular activities.
- In conjunction with law enforcement activities.
- Persons described in Mo. Rev. Stat. § 571.030.2 (including, without limitation, peace officers, qualified retired peace officers, and civil process servers).
- An employee of the State of Missouri is authorized to have a firearm in the employee’s vehicle provided that (a) the employee is conducting activities within the scope of his or her employment; and (b) the employee’s vehicle is locked and the firearm is not visible therein.
- Those authorized by the Director of University Safety, provided such authorizations are evaluated and determined on a case-by-case basis in a manner consistent with the Concealed Carry Request procedures below.
Concealed Carry Requests
Step 1 – Application and interview
Employees desiring to concealed carry on campus must complete an Employee Concealed Carry Application and submit to the Director of University Safety. The Director will review applications on a quarterly basis. Applications where the situation is deemed appropriate for concealed carry will move to the background check in Step 2.
Individuals desiring to concealed carry on campus that are not employees of the University should contact the Director of University Safety at firstname.lastname@example.org, however, such requests will not generally be granted.
Step 2 – Background check
A background check will be conducted to determine suitability of the applicant, which includes a criminal history check.
Step 3 – Finalization
Those successfully passing the background check will be required to attend an educational session over the University’s policies on weapons, restrictions placed on the approval, and sign a waiver form.
Concealed carry approval renewals
The concealed carry approval expires each July 31st. Those currently approved to concealed carry on campus must submit renewal application to the Director of University Safety by June 15th. Applications will be reviewed. An updated background investigation may be required.
If an employee’s approval is denied, the employee may appeal the decision in writing within five (5) business days to the Vice President for Administrative Services. The Vice President for Administrative Services will review the file and may request additional information or conduct an interview with the applicant, if warranted. The Vice President for Administrative Services will render his/her decision in writing, which shall be final.
Other Requests to Have a Firearm on Campus
Step 1 - Application
Anyone having a need to posses a firearm on campus other than those in accordance with Mo. Rev. Stat. § 571.030 or those requesting the ability to concealed carry, must complete a Firearm on University Property Application and submit to the Director of University Safety. Generally, this applies to those approved to use the Missouri State University firing range, utilizing a firearm as a prop in a theatrical production, or participating in an activity on University property that requires the use of a firearm
Step 2 - Background Check
A background check will be conducted to determine suitability of the applicant, which includes a criminal background check.
Step 3 - Finalization
Those successfully passing the background check will be provided an approval letter that includes restrictions placed on the approval.