Schedule and Checklist for Religious Studies Majors
- Within 30 days of declaring the religious studies major:
- Request or be assigned an advisor by our administrative secretary
- Meet with Dr. Berkwitz for 15-30 minutes to go over “Advisee Information.”
- Meet with your advisor to go over your course schedule and portfolio.
- Anytime before early registration during the first semester:
Meet with your advisor to select courses for the next semester and discuss how the semester is going.
- Anytime during the first semester:
Visit the Career Center in Carrington 309 to learn about careers that are open to all liberal arts students including religious studies majors.
- Before completing 60 hours:
Be admitted to a degree program in religious studies.
- Every semester:
- Visit with your advisor before early registration to review your portfolio and select courses.
- Email your advisor for approval; this might be acceptable with some advisors for upper-level students
- Pay careful attention to periodic e-mail newsletters from Dr. Berkwitz with advising information.
- During the junior year:
Visit the Career Center to learn the job search process and benefit from several workshops, such as mock interviews, resume writing and etiquette dinner.
- During the semester before the semester of graduation:
- Double check degree audit with your advisor after registering for your last semester.
- During the semester of graduation:
- Double-check degree audit with your advisor.
- Apply to graduate.
- Take general education exam/GEN499 administered by assessment office.
- About four weeks before commencement, schedule your exit interview with your advisor and a member of the Assessment and Curriculum Committee (Drs. Finch, Pulley or Reinis).
- Complete the Religious Studies Exit Interview Form and the SurveyMonkey survey (Jane Terry will e-mail the link to you).
- About two weeks before commencement, submit your accomplishments and career plans to Dr. Berkwitz; Dr. Berkwitz will read this at the department’s spring commencement reception in the religious studies office, Strong 251. Family and friends are invited to this reception as well as to commencement.