Choose a question from a category below to view the answer:
- How do I register for a course that requires permission?
- What do I do if I have permission to enroll in a course that is closed?
- If I am in an accelerated master's program, how do I register for a graduate level course?
- How do I register for courses that exceed the maximum number of hours allowed for my classification (i.e. overload)?
- Why am I receiving a “link error” message when trying to register for a lab/lecture course?
- Why am I receiving an error message when trying to register for a class?
- What if I have a hold that prevents accessing the Add or Drop Classes link?
Add/Drop a Class
- How do I drop a class?
- How do I add a class?
- How do I add a class or register for classes after the Change of Schedule Period (first week of classes)?
- What happens if I use this system to register and then decide that I need to change my registration?
- Am I eligible to use web registration?
- Can I be put on a waiting list for a course?
- What if I have a temporary clearance of a hold from my department?
- What if I have questions that are not included here?
1. From the class schedule search, select the hyper-link CRN for the class. Read the section comments to see if the class requires permission, and who to contact.
2. You will be able to check on the status of your request by selecting the Registration Status link under the Registration tab on My Missouri State. This screen will list all overrides that have been granted for you. Although requests may be processed daily, please allow at least five business days for your request to be processed.
3. If your permission request is approved and your earliest registration date/time has arrived, you may then register for the class using the “Add or Drop Classes” link under the Registration tab on My Missouri State.
If you have obtained an override to enroll in a closed section, you will have to directly enter the CRN of the section in the “worksheet” at the bottom of the “Add or Drop Classes” page. The class will always appear closed on the class schedule search, even if you have an override to enroll.
If you are in an accelerated master's program and wish to enroll in a course (600 or 700 level) for Mixed Credit, we suggest that you do the following:
1. Use the web system to register for all of the courses you wish to take that do not require permission or approval for graduate credit.
2. Obtain a "Mixed Credit" form from your graduate advisor, the department head of your major, or the Graduate College Office.
3. Secure signatures on the form from your graduate advisor, the department head of your major, and the dean of the Graduate College.
4. Take the form to the Office of the Registrar, Carrington Hall, room 320 in person. You will then be able to register on the web for a graduate level course.
1. Use the web system to register for courses up to the maximum allowable for your classification.
2. Contact the Dean of the college of your major. Once the Dean has granted permission for your overload status, you will then be able to register on the web for overload credit hours.
The registration system is programmed to detect which lab/lecture sections are supposed to be scheduled together. Therefore, if you try to register for the wrong combination of sections or try to register for a lab only or a lecture only, you will be blocked. You will be required to register in the correct lab/lecture combination, as noted in the section comment on the class schedule. You must register for the lab and lecture sections at the same time.
There are several reasons you could be receiving an error message. Please refer to our Registration Errors web page: http://www.missouristate.edu/registrar/registrationerrors.htm
If you are attempting an initial registration (you have not yet registered for any classes), you will need to resolve the hold and have it removed before you can register. If you have already registered for classes, but wish to add another class or drop a current class, you can go to the Office of the Registrar to have the transaction processed by a staff member.
Go to the Add or Drop Classes link under the Registration tab in My Missouri State. There will be an “Action” drop down box next to each class that is still eligible to be dropped. Select the “Drop” option, then the “Submit changes” button. There is not a confirmation page, but next to the dropped course it will denote that the class is dropped and no longer have an action drop down box.
NOTE: Non-attendance will NOT result in being dropped from a class. If you stop attending or never attend a class, but do not follow proper procedure for dropping the class, you will receive a failing grade and will also be financially obligated to pay for the class. “W” grades will NOT be assigned if a class is not properly dropped by the last date to drop a class.
Go to the Add or Drop Classes link under the Registration tab in My Missouri State. If you know the CRN of the section you want to add, you can type it directly into the Worksheet and select the “Submit Changes” button. If you do not know the CRN, do a class schedule search. If you are eligible to register for the section, there will be a checkbox next to the section. Check the box and select the “submit” button at the bottom of the page.
After the first week of classes, adds and initial registrations of a class that has already begun must be completed in person at the Office of the Registrar. If you are adding a full-semester or first-block course, you must first obtain department approval (stamp and signature on the Registration/Change of Schedule Form).
You may also change your registration online using the Add or Drop Classes link under the Registration tab on My Missouri State.
- Check your status under the Registration tab in My Missouri State. Select the Registration Status link.
- You must meet the following criteria:
- Your status is admitted or continuing
- You have an online advisor release if needed
- You have no holds
- Exceptions : Due to advising constraints and to ensure compliance with university policies intercollegiate athletes, and precollege (high school dual enrollment) students will not be able to use Web Registration. Entering first-time freshmen will be able to use web registration ONLY with their advisor at their SOAR session on campus.
Some departments maintain waiting lists for selected courses. You may wish to contact the office of the department that offers the class to determine if a waiting list is available.
A Student with a Temporary Clearance to Registrar Form should bring the form to the Office of the Registrar. If the student is eligible to use web registration, the hold will be removed from the student's record thereby allowing the student to use web registration.
If you have questions not listed here or if you experience problems using the web registration system, you may call the Office of the Registrar at 836-5520 between 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.