Speech and Theatre Education
Speech and Theatre Education
All majors in the Department of Communication must satisfy the following requirements before they can be admitted to the program.
- Complete a minimum of 59 credit hours.
- Complete the General Education Foundations courses.
- Have a combined grade point average (Missouri State and transfer) of 2.50 or higher or have a GPA of 2.75 for the last 30 hours of courses completed before applying for admission to the degree program.
- Complete COM 115, COM 209, and MED 120 with a GPA of 2.50 or higher.
- Complete any additional admission requirements for selected emphasis or major.
- Submit application for admission and receive approval by faculty advisor and Head of the Department of Communication.
A student must meet these requirements by the time he/she has completed 90 hours of courses (Missouri State and transfer) to be admitted to the program. No waiver of these requirements will be granted except that transfer students transferring 90 hours or more will be allowed one semester to complete the departmental core courses after transferring to Missouri State.
Students pursuing a second option in the BA and BS Communication degree (non-comprehensive) must complete a minimum of 9 credit hours not counted as requirements on any major option. The additional major option cannot be used to satisfy the requirement of a minor or additional major.
- General Education Program and Requirements
- Major Requirements (44 hours)
Students interested in teaching speech and theatre at the secondary level may choose one of two options: One option emphasizes communication (see below) and the other emphasizes theatre (see Department of Theatre and Dance). Both options meet state certification requirements for Speech and Theatre Education.
- Core: COM 115(3), 322(3), 532(3), 534(3), 536(2); THE 130(3), 150(2), 151(1), 222(3), 323(3), 430(3); MED 120(3)
- Public Affairs Capstone Experience will be fulfilled by completion of COM 491(6)
- Communication Option:
- Professional Education Courses. Note: A grade of “C” or better in each course is required for state certification.
- COM 417(3), 490(6), 491(6)
- Professional Education Required Core and Competencies - see Teacher Education Program
- General Baccalaureate Degree Requirements
- This program also requires compliance with the Teacher Education Program for eligibility to enroll in Professional Education courses; admission to and continuance in the Teacher Education Program; approval for supervised teaching; and recommendation for certification which includes following GPA requirements. All GPA requirements include both Missouri State and transfer grades.
- at least a 2.75 GPA on all course work attempted at all colleges attended
- at least a 3.00 GPA in the certificate subject area (major field of study) which includes all courses listed under B
- at least a 3.00 GPA in any additional certificate subject area
- at least a 3.00 GPA in the professional education courses which includes all courses listed under C; and no grade lower than a "C" in all professional education courses
Accelerated graduate program in Communication
Eligible Missouri State undergraduate students may apply for admission to the Communication program and begin taking graduate course work as they complete the work for a bachelor’s degree. A maximum of 10 hours of graduate credit may be counted toward both the undergraduate and graduate degree (Mixed Credit). Refer to the Graduate Catalog for specific admission requirements.
Refer to Undergraduate Students Taking Graduate Classes for additional information and procedures for obtaining permission for Mixed Credit.