This certificate is jointly offered by the Department of Religious Studies and the Department of Communication and is designed to equip students to participate in interfaith activities and to increase their cultural competence with religious diversity. The program will assist students in developing the knowledge base and communication skills to engage people with different orientations in and around religion. Students who complete this certificate will acquire a background to work with religious diversity in settings in the United States and across the globe.
This certificate is administered by the Department of Religious Studies.
Program requirements (16 hours)
- Required Core Courses (select two courses with two different course codes - 6 hours):
- Select one course in Communication Skills (3 hours): COM 205(3)*, COM 260(3)*, COM 326(3), COM 332(3), COM 336(3), COM 511(3), COM 513(3)
- Select one course in Human Experience (3 hours): REL 100(3)*, REL 332(3), REL 338(3), REL 346(3), REL 347(3), REL 368(3), REL 370(3), REL 378(3), PSY 533(3)
- Select one course in Religious Diversity (3 hours): REL 131(3), REL 210(3)*, REL 330(3), REL 340(3), REL 342(3), REL 344(3), REL 350(3), REL 355(3), REL 357(3), REL 360(3)
- Engaged Learning Experience (1 hour): REL 399 Independent Study or another approved course. Students in this program select a one-credit hour course that engages them in interfaith activities outside of the classroom. The director of the certificate program will assist the student in identifying an appropriate engaged interfaith project that is consistent with the aims of the certificate. The program offers a variety of engaged learning experiences through campus and community partners. Service-Learning courses may be used to count for this requirement, subject to approval by the program director. Students may also propose their own engaged learning experience, which is subject to approval by the director of the certificate program. To request permission to enroll in the required independent study course, REL 399 or an appropriate alternative, please contact the Director of the Undergraduate Certificate in Interfaith Engagement.
- All candidates must satisfy the General University Certificate Requirements.
*Courses may only apply to one area of the certificate program.
Attain a GPA of 2.50 or higher in the courses used to complete the certificate requirements.