In addition to completing Foundations courses (ART 100, 101, 110, 115) students must have a combined GPA (Missouri State and transfer combined) of at least 2.50, GPA in Art Education of 2.50, and a grade of "C" or better in ART 360. Application for admission to the degree program may be made after completion of 30 hours and must be made before 75 hours have been completed.
Major requirements (66 hours):
Note: three hours may double count toward General Education requirements.
- Specific General Education requirement: ART 271(3) or 272(3) or 273(3) or 274(3).
- Foundations (12 hours): ART 100(3), 101(3), 110(3), 115(3).
- Art History (9 hours):
- Studio Art (30 hours):
- Art Education (15 hours): ART 360(3), 366(3), 401(3), 460(3), 466(3).
- Public Affairs Capstone Experience will be fulfilled by completion of ART 490(12).
Professional Education requirements:
Note: A grade of “C” or better in each course is required for state certification.
- Teaching methods and supervised teaching: ART 360(3), 366(3), 401(3), 466(3), 490(12).
- Additional Professional Education Required Core and Competencies (23 hours).
- This program also requires compliance with the Teacher Education Program for eligibility to enroll in Professional Education courses; admission to and continuance in the Teacher Education Program; approval for supervised teaching; and recommendation for certification which includes following GPA requirements. All GPA requirements include both Missouri State and transfer grades.
- at least a 2.75 GPA on all course work attempted at all colleges attended.
- at least a 3.00 GPA in the certificate subject area (major field of study) which includes all courses listed under major requirements.
- at least a 3.00 GPA in any additional certificate subject area.
- at least a 3.00 GPA in the professional education courses which includes all courses in number 1 and 2; and no grade lower than a "C" in all professional education courses.
University level requirements:
Accelerated graduate program in Art Education
Eligible Missouri State undergraduate students majoring in Art Education may apply for admission to the Master of Art Education program and begin taking graduate course work as they complete the work for a bachelor’s degree. A maximum of 9 hours of graduate credit may be counted toward both the undergraduate and graduate degree (Mixed Credit). Refer to the Graduate Catalog for specific admission requirements.
Refer to Undergraduate Students Taking Graduate Classes for additional information and procedures for obtaining permission for Mixed Credit.