Pass/Not Pass Grading Option
Op3.04-37 Pass/Not Pass Grading Option
The Pass/Not Pass grading option is intended to provide students an opportunity to pursue specialized or outside interests without penalty or reduction of grade point average. It allows students a greater degree of participation in those courses than the audit system permits. Students earning a passing grade in courses for which they were enrolled on a Pass/Not Pass basis are given a “P" grade; those failing will receive a grade of “NP”. Pass and Not Pass grades are not used in calculating grade point averages. To place a course on Pass/Not Pass, students must complete a form in the Office of the Registrar, Carrington Hall 320, any time prior to the “W” grade deadline for that course.
Caution: Prerequisite requirements of other courses may not be met with a course completed on a Pass/Not Pass basis. The decision to take a course on a Pass/Not Pass basis cannot be reversed.
Students may take courses on a Pass/Not Pass basis under the following conditions:
- Courses taken under the Pass/Not Pass option cannot be used to satisfy general education, major, minor, professional education, or specific degree requirements. Courses taken under the Pass/Not Pass option can be counted towards the 120 minimum credit hours and 40 hours of upper-division credit hours (as applicable) required for completion of a baccalaureate degree unless otherwise restricted.
- Honors classes cannot be taken on a Pass/Not Pass basis.
- The Pass/Not Pass option is not available as a choice to graduate students for graduate-level courses (600 or above). Departments may elect to offer certain non-didactic graduate courses (e.g., readings, special problems, independent study, clinical internships, research and thesis) on a Pass/Not Pass only basis.
- Courses which are graded Pass/Not Pass only are exempt from the limitations otherwise imposed upon students by Pass/Not Pass regulations.
- If a Pass/Not Pass student does not attend class regularly or does not fulfill agreed-upon expectations, the instructor may direct the Office of the Registrar to drop the student from the class.
Download Pass/Not Pass Request Form
- Bring form to the Office of the Registrar, Carrington Hall Room 320. Office hours are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; or
- Fax to 417-836-6334; or
- Email scanned form to Registrar@MissouriState.edu from your Missouri State email account; or
- Mail to Office of the Registrar, Missouri State University, 901 S. National Ave, Springfield, MO 65897