Checklist for students
- Verify your degree requirements: Review your degree audit to verify that all degree requirements will be met. Contact your academic advisor if you have any questions regarding your degree requirements. Graduate students should contact their program director or the Graduate College. Degree audits may be requested through My Missouri State, Student tab, My Graduation Path channel.
- Apply to graduate through My Missouri State, Student tab, Apply for Graduation link.
- Clear all Holds such as overdue library books and fines, outstanding financial obligations to the University, etc. While a Hold will not prevent participation in the commencement ceremony or awarding of the degree, it will prevent the release of the diploma and/or transcript.
- Attend the "Senior Symposium" sponsored by the Office of Student Financial Aid. This event is come and go as you please, and financial aid counselors will be present to answer any last minute questions. Refer to the Senior Symposium website for event times and details. Students not able to attend the event should complete "Exit Counseling" at the Federal Student Aid website. Students who have a Perkin’s Loan will need to complete additional exit counseling through Financial Services.
- Review the Commencement website for ceremony details.
Undergraduate students : Complete the Graduate Outcome Survey by logging into JobTracks. The Career Center is available to all Missouri State University alumni. The services can assist with job search and graduate school search, if assistance is needed.
Students who will have graduation requirements in-progress during their intended semester of graduation (includes transfer work from other institutions) are eligible to participate in the commencement ceremony.
Per University intersession policy, fall intersession (August) is part of the following fall semester, winter intersession (January) is part of the following spring semester, and summer intersession (late May/early June) is part of the following summer session.
Students graduating in the summer have the option of participating in the commencement ceremony the spring preceding or fall following the semester of their graduation. Students will mark their choice on their application to graduate. These students will have their names included in the corresponding commencement program and have scholastic honors calculated based on the scholastic honors policy.
Undergraduate students who meet the criteria and wish to participate in an early commencement ceremony must contact Jessica Silvey, Executive Assistant, Student Development and Public Affairs, University Hall, room 115, 417-836-8346, or email request to: JessicaSilvey@missouristate.edu.
Graduate students may request permission to participate in an early commencement ceremony by contacting Dr. Thomas Tomasi, Associate Dean of the Graduate College, Carrington Hall, Room 306, 417-836-5335.
Those given permission to participate in an early ceremony will not have their name included in the printed commencement program nor will they officially graduate until the conclusion of the semester in which all graduation requirements have been completed. Undergraduate students who receive permission to participate are not eligible to be recognized for scholastic honors during the Commencement ceremony.
Cooperative engineering students
Students who participate in Missouri S&T's cooperative engineering program are eligible to participate in Missouri State's commencement ceremony. They do not need to submit a Missouri State Application to Graduate. Scholastic honors (based on Missouri S&T scholastic honors requirements, which are different from Missouri State) are listed in Missouri State's printed commencement program and are included in the announcement of the graduate's name during the ceremony. Since Missouri S&T does not issue honors cordons, cooperative engineering students do not wear honors cordons.
West Plains students
Students completing a MSU degree at the West Plains Campus may participate in the West Plains Campus commencement ceremony instead of, or in addition to, the Springfield campus ceremony. Refer to the MSU-West Plains Graduation Procedures website for more information.
News release of graduation candidates
Each semester, the Office of University Communications sends the names of graduation candidates to their hometown newspaper. Visit the Office of University Communications website or call 417-836-6397 for more information about how and when this list is distributed.