Outdoor Adventures Frequently Asked Questions

Climbing Wall & Outdoor Boulder

When is the climbing wall & outdoor boulder open?

The climbing wall hours differ from the regular hours of the Foster Recreation Center. The outdoor boulder is open 24/7, but it is strongly encouraged not to climb after dark.

Who can use the climbing wall?

The climbing wall is open for use by Foster Recreation Center members and their guests. Please see Membership Types and Rates for more information.

How much does it cost?

Use of the climbing wall is free for Foster Recreation Center members, but guests are required to purchase a day pass (which includes use of the climbing wall).

Some equipment is free to use at the climbing wall, and some requires a rental fee. Please see our Equipment Rental page for more information.

Can I rent the climbing wall?

Yes! Please see Renting the Facility for more information.

Can I bring my own equipment?

Personal equipment that is permitted include: harness, chalkbag, shoes, and belay device (if you pass our belay clinic). We do not allow personal quickdraws, ropes, or traditional climbing gear (cams, chock/nuts, hexes, etc). Personal crashpads are allowed at the outdoor boulder, but not inside.

How can I belay at the climbing wall?

By registering for one of our belay clinics, and passing the test at the end of the clinic. See our Climbing Wall page for more information on clinic dates and times.

I'm already belay certified at another gym, do I still have to take your belay clinic?

All members wanting to belay at the Foster Recreation Center must register and pass our belay clinics before belaying at our facility. We do not recognize other belay certifications for risk management reasons. If you want to climb, there are always at least two staff members available to belay you.


Who can go on Outdoor Adventures trips?

With the exception of a few trips, all Outdoor Adventures trips are open to university students, faculty, and staff. You do not need to be a member of the Foster Recreation Center to attend our trips.

What kinds of skill levels are necessary to go on trips?

All trips are open to all skill levels unless otherwise noted on the trip description.

What is included in the registration fee?

Typically, the registration fee covers the costs of transportation to and from campus, necessary equipment, any food that is offered, trip guides, and any other costs associated with the specific trip.

Can I bring my own equipment?

Outdoor Adventures allows personal equipment on its trips. However, the equipment must be inspected by your trip guides prior to leaving, and there is no pro-rated fee for a trip if you bring your own equipment (with exception of the Ski Trip).

How do I get a refund for a trip?

Payment for the trip is due at the time of registration. After this time, there are absolutely NO refunds unless:

  • The trip is canceled due to low participation or weather
  • The trip is full and has a waiting list, and there is another person on the waiting list who is willing to take your spot.
  • Family/Medical/Academic issues that will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis by the Assistant Director for Recreational Sports and the Graduate Assistant for Outdoor Adventures.

What if I am put on the waiting list?

Payment is not mandatory if the trip is filled to capacity. If a spot opens up on the trip participants on the waiting list will be selected by the order in which they registered for an opportunity to go on the trip.


Who can attend Outdoor Adventures clinics?

All Missouri State students, faculty, and staff are able to attend our clinics.

How long do they last?

Usually 1-2 hours.

Equipment Rental

Who can rent equipment from Outdoor Adventures?

Equipment rental is available for all Missouri State University students, faculty, and staff as well as Foster Recreation Center members such as alumni.

What kinds of equipment do you have?

For a list of available equipment and pricing, please visit our Equipment Rental page.

How long can I rent equipment?

Equipment rental is available for up to one week. Special exceptions can be made by contacting the Graduate Assistant for Outdoor Adventures.

Can I reserve equipment?

Yes, equipment can be reserved at the Resource Desk.


How can I get a job working for Outdoor Adventures?

There are three different student employment positions with Outdoor Adventures: climbing wall staff, resource attendant, and outdoor trip guide. Please inquire at the Outdoor Adventures Resource Desk about job availability and check the student employment webpage for more information.