Childhood Education and Family Studies
- Early childhood education
- Professional culture and school community, formal and informal
- Social networks in schools
- Relationships among teachers and teacher assistants (para-educators) in early childhood
- Developing a coherent and cohesive pre-kindergarten to grade 3 educational experience
- New teacher induction and support
Top Scholarly Accomplishments
- Mowrey, S.C. & Farran, D.C. (2016). "Performance and Preparation: Alignment Between Student Achievement, Teacher Ratings, and Parent Perceptions in Urban Middle-grades Mathematics Classrooms." Journal of Urban Learning, Teaching and Research, 12, 61–74.
- Farran, D.C., Mowrey, S.C. & Rainey, L. (2016). "Early Mathematical Coherence PK-2. Unpublished Instrument" Available from D.C. Farran, Peabody Research Institute, Nashville, TN.
- Mowrey, S.C. (June 2017). "Collaboration and Teaching Teams: A Social Network Analysis of Collaboration and Mentoring Among Leaders, Teachers and Assistants in Three Pre-Kindergarten Schools." Poster at National Association for the Education of Young Children Professional Learning Institute.
- Claessens, A., Farran, D.C., Eason, S., Mowrey, S., Rainey, L. and Leonard, S. (November 2016). "Math in Preschool: A Review of the Mathematics Activities in the Most Widely Used Preschool Curricula." Paper presented at the Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management, Washington, DC.
- Mowrey, S.C. & Farran, D.C. (June 2016). "Capturing Coherence: The Development of a Classroom Observation Instrument for Use Across Early Childhood." Paper presented at a meeting of the European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction Special Interest Group on Learning and Development in Early Childhood, Porto, Portugal.
Plus other top scholarly accomplishments.
- Instructor at Dept. of Teaching and Learning Vanderbilt University
- Graduate Research Assistant at Peabody Research Institute Vanderbilt University
- 2nd and 4th Grade Teacher at Los Altos School District Los Altos, CA
- 3rd Grade Teacher at Wake County Public School System Raleigh, NC
- Family history/Genealogy