Missouri State University and school district/agency policies require some students to obtain a national fingerprinting background check through the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The FBI fingerprinting national background check is required for all students enrolled in a course in which the student will interact with children or other individuals in some capacity. The FBI fingerprinting must be obtained to meet requirements of the course assignment(s). Students required to meet this policy will be notified by the Professional Education Services office.
- All Missouri State University teacher education students are required to obtain two (2) FBI national fingerprinting background checks (see Options 1 and 2 below).
1. Beginning Fall 2019, all teacher education students are required to obtain a Missouri Volunteer and Employee Criminal History Service (MOVECHS) FBI fingerprinting background check (Option 1 below) for participation in a practicum and/or admission to a Missouri State University teacher education program. This MOVECHS FBI fingerprinting will be valid until student teaching.
2. All teacher education candidates are required to obtain a Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) FBI fingerprinting background check (Option 2 below) for student teaching. The DESE FBI fingerprinting is required by the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) to obtain a Substitute Certificate and qualify for an Initial Professional Certificate (IPC) upon completion of student teaching.
- All non-certification seeking Missouri State University College of Education students are required to obtain one (1) FBI national fingerprinting background check (see Option 1 below).
Option 1: MOVECHS FBI Fingerprinting Information
Practicum, Admission to Teacher Education, Admission to Counseling, and Counseling Mental Health Internship
- This option requires the student to complete the MOVECHS Waiver Agreement form prior to beginning the registration process for MOVECHS FBI fingerprinting.
- The waiver agreement form can be accessed through My Missouri State -> Student -> My Teacher Education -> Online Agreements -> MOVECHS Waiver Agreement for FBI fingerprinting.
- After completion of the waiver agreement, MOVECHS FBI fingerprinting instructions will display in a new window. Print or save these instructions for referencing during the fingerprinting registration process.
- Registration is required on the Missouri Automated Criminal History System (MACHS) using the 4-digit Missouri State University MOVECHS fingerprinting registration code that will be given within the instructions.
- During registration, enter the 4-digit MOVECHS fingerprinting code in the designated field. The screen should automatically display MSU College of Education.
- The fingerprinting result is usually received in approximately one week by the MSU College of Education and entered in MSU Test Scores.
NOTE: A MOVECHS FBI fingerprinting cannot be used when applying for a Substitute Certificate or Initial Teaching Certificate. If you are obtaining a fingerprinting for a Substitute Certificate or Initial Teaching Certificate, a DESE fingerprinting registration code must be used (see Option 2 - DESE FBI fingerprinting information below).
If you have questions, email email@example.com or call 417-836-8772.
Option 2: DESE FBI Fingerprinting Information
- A current FBI fingerprinting national background check is required even if students are working on a Provisional, Temporary or Substitute Certificate, or working as a Teacher's Aide. Students must be in compliance with this requirement before their practicum, internship, or student teaching begins. An FBI fingerprinting background check is also required for an Initial Professional Certificate (IPC).
- All student teacher candidates - It is recommended that all student teacher candidates obtain a Substitute Certificate prior to student teaching. The majority of school districts in which MSU teacher candidates are placed require a substitute certificate for student teaching placement.
- Note: Some school districts require teacher candidates to obtain an FBI fingerprinting using the district’s specific fingerprinting code. This fingerprinting is in addition to the MSU fingerprinting requirement and must be met before the school district will allow the teacher candidate to begin student teaching in that school district. All fingerprinting costs will be the responsibility of the teacher candidate.
- Register with the Missouri Automated Criminal History System (MACHS) at www.machs.mo.gov to be fingerprinted through IdentoGO by Idemia.
- Select “Click here to Register with the Fingerprint Portal".
- Select "Click here to register with MACHS".
- Enter the appropriate fingerprinting registration code, and select "Enter".
- Enter the 4-digit DESE registration code 2300 if a Substitute Certificate has already been obtained through DESE.
- Enter the 4-digit DESE registration code 2301 if applying for a Substitute Certificate.
- Select "OK" on the pop-up window and verify the ORI name listed. The ORI name should automatically display as Department of Elementary and Secondary Education. If the correct ORI name does not display, verify that the correct 4-digit registration code was entered.
- After ORI name is verified, enter data into the fields provided. When finished, select “Register”.
- Follow screen instructions through completion selecting the Register for Digital Fingerprinting Services option (unless otherwise notified by department).
- Report to the fingerprinting location that was selected during the registration process as soon as possible.
- The fingerprinting result will display on the DESE Educator Certification System profile and can be used for a Substitute Certificate and Initial Professional Certificate. Clearance usually takes 7-10 days.
- In order to verify compliance of DESE FBI fingerprinting background check requirements, a full DESE profile screen shot including DESE's logo must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. Start the screen shot at the top of the page with DESE's logo and capture the entire screen to include the fingerprinting background check information. Redact your SSN before emailing.
- When the fingerprinting result is received, it is entered in MSU Test Scores
- If you have questions, email email@example.com or call 417-836-8772.
Substitute certificate: Instructions for obtaining a Substitute Certificate
Expiration dates of compliance documents can be viewed in My Missouri State -> Registration -> My Student Records -> Test Scores.
FAQ: What if there is a "Finding" on my background check?
Professional Education Services - Hill Hall 212
Compliance Documents - Hill Hall 212
Office Hours: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (Monday through Friday)