Disability Accommodation Policy for Students

Policy statement

MSU perceives students with disabilities as a valued identity group and integral to our campus diversity. We strive to proactively create usable, equitable, inclusive learning environments. However, due to the design of a University course or program, students with disabilities may experience barriers to their full and meaningful participation. When this occurs students should request an environmental or course adaptation through the process outlined below. It is the policy of Missouri State University to comply with all applicable federal and state laws prohibiting disability discrimination.

Resources for Students with Disabilities 

  • Disability Resource Center (DRC). The DRC provides resources and collaborates with students who have health related, sensory, or physical disabilities. The DRC is the entry point for all disability resources and accommodations. Contact information: Carrington Hall, Suite 302, 417-836-4192 (voice) or 417-836-6792 (TTY), http://www.missouristate.edu/disability.
  • Learning Diagnostic Clinic (LDC). The LDC provides resources, testing, and collaborates with students who have learning, cognitive, and psychological disabilities. Students who are interested in testing services may contact the LDC directly. Contact information: Alumni Building, Suite 502, 417-836-4787, http://psychology.missouristate.edu/ldc.
  • On the West Plains Campus, students should contact the Advisement and Academic Coaching Center for Empowering Student Success (AACCESS), 128 Garfield, 417-255-7222, WPAACCESS@MissouriState.edu. Students participating in University courses or programs at all other locations should contact the DRC and LDC as outlined above.

Requesting Accommodations

Students with disabilities who experience or anticipate barriers to their participation are encouraged to request accommodations by going through the following process. Students should request accommodations as soon as a barrier to participation is anticipated as accommodations cannot be provided retroactively. Distance learning students should follow this same accommodation process. 

  1. Students with disabilities should first contact the appropriate resource office (DRC, LDC, or SAAS) and make an appointment. The purpose of the appointment is to discuss the barriers the student has experienced or anticipates. Students who do not know which resource office to contact should contact the DRC.
  2. Students should then complete the online request for accommodation form and submit it. Students may also fill out a hardcopy form through the appropriate resource office.
  3. Students should then participate in the interactive process with the University’s resource offices to document the student’s disability and identify accommodations that will reduce or remove barriers. (For more information regarding documentation please see the University’s General Guidelines to Documentation.) The University must receive sufficient documentation to authorize accommodations.
  4. The appropriate resource office will then issue a memorandum to the student to share with faculty/staff. The student is responsible for retrieving paper or electronic copies of the memorandum from the resource office, and it is the student’s decision whether and when to request a particular accommodation in a particular program or class. Faculty/staff will not have access to a student’s memo unless and until the student gives the memo to their faculty/staff. When requesting accommodation in a program or class, the student should meet with their faculty/staff, request accommodations, provide the memo, and have a discussion to determine how accommodations will work for each course/program. These memoranda are only valid for a semester, and students must contact the appropriate resource office and reapply to receive accommodations in subsequent semesters. The University resource offices will reuse the information and documentation previously provided in determining accommodations for a student in subsequent semesters.
  5. If the student or faculty/staff believe the memo should be changed, they should contact the appropriate resource office and engage in the interactive process to determine what, if any, new accommodations or changes to authorized accommodations are appropriate. Students and faculty/staff should feel free to follow up with the University’s resource offices with any questions or concerns.

Complaints and Grievances

Students who have concerns about the manner in which faculty/staff have responded to accommodation requests should contact the appropriate resource office. University personnel will collaborate interactively with the student and faculty/staff in generating possible solutions.

Students who believe they have been discriminated against and/or have a complaint about the University’s resource offices should contact the Office for Institutional Equity and Compliance, PCOB Suite 111, 417-836-4252 (voice) or 417-836-3257 (TTY). On the West Plains Campus, students should contact the Affirmative Action Liaison, West Plains Civic Center, 128 Garfield, 417-255-7966.

Faculty/staff with concerns about accommodations—including but not limited to concerns that authorized accommodations fundamentally alter the essential nature of a course, curriculum or program—should share their concerns with the appropriate resource office. If the concerns are not resolved, faculty/staff should submit a written statement to the Provost, clearly documenting the basis for their concerns. Throughout this process, authorized accommodations should continue to be provided.