Safety and Transportation

Op3.12-18 Safety and Transportation

What is my role as Department Head?

The University Safety and Transportation Department fosters a safe and secure environment for the University community through professional services in law enforcement, security, crime prevention/education, and traffic/parking with an emphasis on community policing concepts.

The Department Head should be familiar with the services and procedures related to Safety and Emergency Operations plans for the campus, and the Transportation Department’s services. In addition, please reinforce familiarization with these procedures with your faculty and staff!

What do I need to know about campus safety?

  • Be aware that for the safety of all campus students, employees and visitors, the Safety and Transportation Office posts Safety Alerts, as well as personal safety seminars offered free of charge.
  • The University is proud to have an on-campus Springfield Police substation located at 636 East Elm.
  • Any damage or theft of MSU property should be reported to the Safety Department, as well as to the Springfield Police Substation.
  • Missouri State University is committed to supporting the welfare of its students, faculty and staff and visitors – and preparing a campus crisis/emergency operations plan is an important resource to respond to possible emergencies as quickly and effectively as possible. The Campus Crisis Management and Emergency Operations Plan is designed to maximize human survival and preservation of property, minimize danger, restore normal operations of the University, and assure responsive communications with the University community, surrounding neighborhoods, and the City of Springfield. This Plan is intended to be sufficiently flexible to accommodate contingencies of all types, magnitudes, and durations.

One element of the emergency operations plan is Missouri State Alert, the University’s prescribed mass notification system, informing students, faculty and staff in the event of an emergency or school closure.

Instructions are provided to faculty and staff regarding procedures and information in emergencies such as hostile intruders, Earthquakes, Bomb threats, Civil Disorders and Demonstrations, Fires, Hazardous Materials/Waste Contingency Plans, casualties, severe weather, utility failure, building evacuations, etc.

Missouri State University Emergency Operations Plan

Consider posting the Emergency Quick Reference guide in your office.

What do I need to know about campus parking and transportation?

The University’s parking lots and structures are operated and administered by the Transportation Department. Parking is available on a fee basis, and vehicles will be ticketed without the proper permit displayed. Various permits are provided for reserved parking, commuter parking, residence hall parking, conditional, special, temporary, and disabled parking. In addition, visitor and metered parking spaces are available on campus. Department Heads and supervisors may become involved in repeated parking violations committed by their staff, the same as for any other MSU policy violations.

Questions about parking policies and violations including tickets and appeals

When and how should my department use a Motor Pool vehicle?

State employees must use the most cost effective travel option when traveling on state business. In most circumstances, state vehicles or rental vehicles are more cost effective than personal mileage reimbursement, and motor pool vehicles are recommended. The Motor Pool provides vehicles and vehicle support to all University Departments. The use of a motor pool vehicle is restricted to the conduct of official University business.

  • Refer to “Guide for Drivers on State Business”.
  • Refer to the “Trip Optimizer.” This helps to determine the most cost effective mode of travel between the following: state vehicles, rentals, mileage reimbursement, and Amtrak. This guide also provides Enterprise State Contract rental information, Mileage Calculators, etc.
  • Refer to the University’s Mileage allowance.
  • In order to obtain a motor pool vehicle, the vehicle needs to be reserved, and authorization provided by the supervisor for use of the University Vehicle:

What if I have Questions?

Contact information - Safety

For any general questions regarding Safety and Transportation:
Phone: 417-836-5509

Safety and Transportation Director:
Thomas R. Johnson:
Phone: 417-836-8870

Associate Director:
Andrew Englert:
Phone: 417-836-8870

Police substation:
SGT Casey Wilkerson:
Phone: 417-836-5327

Contact information – Parking

Manager, Transportation:
Cole Pruitt:
Phone: 417-836-4825

Parking appeals:
Phone: 417-836-6063

Contact information – Motor Pool
Phone: 417-836-5266