We are here to help you through the admission process. Contact us if you have questions.
Application and Admission Requirements
You must be admitted to a degree program before completing 75 credit hours.
Application to nursing programs require a non-refundable $50 program application fee to the School of Nursing. This is in addition to the university’s $35 application fee. The application fee does not guarantee acceptance into the desired program of your choosing.
- Acceptance of application to the University by the Office of Admissions. (Note: Admission to the University does NOT automatically constitute acceptance for the professional program in nursing.)
- Current licensure in good standing as a registered nurse in the State of Missouri or in the state where they practice.
- Students preparing to graduate from an RN program may apply and be provisionally accepted to the BSN-C program, but will be unable to take NRS courses until the RN license has been attained.
- GPA of 2.50 or higher on a 4.00 scale, based on at least 30 hours of college work. GPAs below 2.50 will be considered on an individual basis.
- An admission conference with a member of the School of Nursing faculty or advisor is recommended for direction in sequencing courses.
- Applicants must demonstrate acceptable levels of maturity, integrity, and behaviors and attitudes normally expected of professional nurses.
- Applicants must demonstrate acceptable academic potential to successfully complete the program.
- Application deadlines for admission are August 1 for the fall semester, December 1 for the spring semester, and May 1 for the summer semester
The application process for the BSN-C program is now completed through the Nursing CAS. The following items are required to complete the CAS application.
- Acceptance of application to the University by the Office of Admissions. (Note: Admission to the University does NOT automatically constitute acceptance for the professional program in nursing)
- Missouri State University Bearpass/M number and email address
- Application Fee to the School of Nursing of $50.00 (pay online thru Cashnet)
- Proof of RN license without disqualification in state of practice or expected date of graduation from RN program. Students preparing to graduate from an RN program may apply and be provisionally accepted to the BSN-C program, but will be unable to take NRS courses until the RN license has been attained.
Provisional admission requirements
Once the application has been accepted by the School of Nursing, the student will be granted provisional acceptance until the following requirements are completed and/or documentation is submitted to and accepted by the School of Nursing. Students will not be allowed to register for NRS courses until complete acceptance has been granted.
- Criminal background check
- The School of Nursing will email the student information regarding completion of a criminal background check.
- The applicant must receive a clear background check without convictions of any crime pursuant to Section 660.317 RSMo or other disqualifications that would prohibit licensure as a registered nurse.
- Urine drug screen
- The School of Nursing will email information regarding the required urine drug screen. The information will be time sensitive, and it will be the responsibility of the student to complete the testing before the time elapses.
- The applicant must receive a clear drug screen that would not hinder the professional actions of a registered nurse or prohibit licensure as a registered nurse.
- Proof of registration with the Family Care Safety Registry
Additional requirements of the program
Once accepted into the BSN-C program, students will be required to purchase items required for clinical and submit the following program compliance documentation:
- When starting coursework students will need to pay the fee for tracking software (Typhon) $50.00.
- Prior to clinical coursework the nursing students will be required to provide the following documentation:
- Proof of negative TB status (within 1 year) or medical follow-up if positive (renewed annually)
- Proof of influenza vaccination documentation for clinical (renewed annually)
- Proof of current American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) certification
- Proof of varicella (chicken pox) vaccination (series of two) or immunity
- Proof of measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) immunization as an adult
- Proof of hepatitis B (must complete series of 3 vaccinations) or immunity
- Proof of tetanus vaccination (within 10 years)
- Proof of current health insurance
- Proof of professional liability insurance (minimum limits of $1,000,000 each occurrence and $3,000,000 aggregate)
- Students are required to purchase community uniform and initial equipment before beginning nursing clinical courses. The complete community uniform is outlined in the BSN-C handbook. Items required for purchase include a School of Nursing polo shirt and name badge.
- Students are expected to provide their own transportation to clinical sites.
- Students are required to pay course fees for each semester they are enrolled in clinical nursing courses.