TITLE Vice President for Research and Economic Development and International Programs
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 0015
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR President
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR President
The Vice President for Research and Economic Development and International Programs has responsibility for the following administrative units and functions: Broadcast Services, International Programs, including China Programs, the Community and Social Issues Institute, the Jordan Valley Innovation Center, and the Office of Sponsored Research and Programs. The Vice President for Research and Economic Development and International Programs advises the President on all matters pertaining to the operation and management of University research, economic development activities, and international programs. The Vice President for Research and Economic Development and International Programs is responsible for all university-wide externally-generated grants and contracts and provides the administrative leadership to the University community in supporting the University’s mission for enhancement of research and economic development through technology transfer, intellectual property, regulatory compliance, and federal relations.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: An earned doctorate from an accredited institution of higher learning is required.
Experience: Five years of upper-level management experience in higher education is required.
Skills: Strong organizational and interpersonal communication skills are required. The ability to work collegially within a large, complex, University system and to negotiate with a wide range of constituencies is required.Excellent leadership skills, decision-making ability, and an ability to project a strong positive image of the University with parents, students, faculty, staff and others, including community, corporate, and government leaders and the media, are required. Strong oral and written communication skills, as well as excellent interpersonal skills, are required.
Other: This position is designated “sensitive” as defined by University policy. This position may include job duties, responsibilities, or activities that are subject to export control regulations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1.Ensures divisional compliance with the institutional mission of the University by reviewing and approving unit plans, goals, and objectives, designing systems of effective control to guide work toward expected outcomes, and evaluating progress towards their accomplishment.
2. Oversees and provides leadership for the full panoply of research issues related to the administration of the University’s research centers and institutes by acting as a chief advocate to cultivate relationships and increase research dollars allocated to the University and providing a leadership role in the development and implementation of new University research centers and institutes.
3. Advises the President, senior University administrative officers, and members of the Board of Governors on issues relating to research, economic development, and international programs, including China Programs, by making presentations at meetings of the Board of Governors and preparing reports, recommendations, findings, and other correspondence as required.
4. As resources permit, assures the prompt and effective delivery of essential administrative and business services by organizing the Research and Economic Development and International Programs Division in a logical, non-duplicative and effective manner.
5. Facilitates the appropriate growth and development of the physical plant of the centers and institutes within the Research and Economic Development and International Programs Division, consistent with their respective missions, by developing a long-range and detailed facility master plan designed to satisfy the necessary academic and support requirements either through new construction or the renovation of existing facilities.
6. Facilitates the development of an effective and competent Research and Economic Development and International Programs Division support staff by reviewing the qualifications of support staff position applicants and making decisions on the employment of all non-faculty employees.
7. Enables Research and Economic Development and International Programs Division employees to perform their assigned tasks by assuming budgetary responsibility for the Division, coordinating the development of annual budgets, and retaining executive authority over all budgets within the Research and Economic Development and International Programs unit.
8. Promotes a positive image and maintains the harmonious external relations for the University by communicating and interacting with national, state, city, and other officials in matters relating to the University and representing the President and the University in various community, state, and regional activities designed to promote higher education in general and Missouri State University in particular.
9. Ensures that miscellaneous assignments related to the Research and Economic Development and International Programs Division are completed in the best interest of the University by accepting and accomplishing tasks which are delegated by the President.
The Vice President for Research and Economic Development and International Programs reports to the President of the Missouri State University System and supervises the directors of the units within the Division of Research and Economic Development and International Programs.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED NOVEMBER 2013