TITLE Assistant General Counsel
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1005
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR General Counsel
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR President
The Assistant General Counsel provides legal advice and consultation to the Board of Governors, University President, the Administration, and faculty and represents the University system before University system hearing bodies as well as administrative and judicial bodies of the United States, the State of Missouri, Greene County, and Springfield. The Assistant General Counsel reviews and recommends institutional policies and procedures, reviews or prepares contracts and other legal documents, and provides legal opinions to University committees and councils as directed by the Board of Governors, the University President, or the General Counsel.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Juris Doctorate degree from an American Bar Association (ABA) accredited law school is required. Superior academic standing is preferred.
Experience: At least three years of professional legal experience as an attorney is required. General legal experience, including litigation, is required. Prior legal experience in the state of Missouri is preferred.
License: Membership in the State of Missouri Bar is required.
Skills: Effective verbal and written communication skills are required in order to communicate legal advice/opinions and provide consultation to people from all constituencies of the University. The ability to provide effective legal representation within time constraints is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Serves as the assistant to the University’s General Counsel for the University by providing legal advice or consultation to the Board of Governors, the University President, the administration, and faculty through administrative channels and reviewing and recommending institutional policies, procedures, guidelines and other documents as needed.
2. Reduces the likelihood for inappropriate, unnecessary, or costly institutional liability in contractual agreements and terms or business arrangements by reviewing and/or preparing contracts and other legal documents for execution by or on behalf of the University.
3. Represents the University system during administrative or judicial proceedings by serving as legal counsel, advising in the representation or overseeing the representation of the University system before University system hearing bodies as well as administrative and judicial bodies of the United States and the State of Missouri.
4. Facilitates the establishment and continuance of appropriate and cooperative relationships between the University and external organizations by serving as the University's liaison with counsel for other universities, the Attorney General of Missouri, the United States Attorney General, the Greene County Prosecutor, Springfield City Attorney, and similar officials.
5. Provides requested legal opinions and advice to University committees and councils by serving as a resource person to the President's Administrative Council and such other bodies as directed by the Board of Governors, the University President, or the General Counsel.
6. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
7. Contributes to the overall success of the University by performing other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the University President, the Board of Governors, or the General Counsel.
The Assistant General Counsel is supervised by the General Counsel and generally does not exercise supervision of others.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED APRIL 2016