We’ll give you a reason to smile: Your dental insurance is free at Missouri State.
Cost and coverage
The university pays the full cost for employee dental coverage. Employees may purchase family dental insurance for spouses and eligible dependents. The cost for family dental insurance is paid by the employee through payroll deduction.
These rates are for the 2018 calendar year.
|Coverage||University pays||Employee pays||Total cost|
|Employee + spouse||$33.03||$27.25||$60.28|
|Employee + child(ren)||$33.03||$21.22||$54.25|
|Employee + family||$33.03||$42.78||$75.81|
Covered charges are based on usual, customary and reasonable billed rates and consist of four types of service:
- Type I – Preventive Services, are paid at 80 percent with no deductible.
- Type II – Basic Restorative Services, are paid at 80 percent with a $50 deductible.
- Type III – Major Restorative and Prosthodontics Services, are paid at 50 percent with a $50 deductible.
- Type IV – Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction (TMJ), are paid at 50 percent with a $50 deductible.
Limits and exclusions
- The maximum annual deductible paid for employee coverage in a calendar year is a total of $50 for both type II and III services combined.
- The maximum annual deductible for family coverage in a calendar year is a total of $150 for both type II and III services combined.
- The university’s dental insurance plan will pay a maximum of $1,000 per covered person in a calendar year for types I, II, III and IV coverages.
- Orthodontia is not covered under the plan.
You may decline the university’s dental coverage. If you decline it for yourself, you are also declining coverage for your family members. Declining the dental coverage does not result in a payment or increase in your salary in lieu of coverage.
How to use this benefit
Make an appointment with an approved provider and they take care of the rest.
Enrolling and making changes
You should enroll, and select dependent coverage options, within 30 days of your start date. This initial enrollment typically happens during orientation.
Each fall, the university participates in open enrollment when you can make changes to your plan, like adding a spouse or dependent.
Outside of the open enrollment period, changes can only be made due to qualifying life events (like marriage, divorce or having a child). For more information, contact human resources.
If you obtain dental services from a participating dentist in the Connection Dental network, you will receive a discount. You may still use any dentist you choose, but using the network dentists will normally save you money.
Med-Pay administers the dental program and handles claims. A dental claim form can help you obtain estimates or submit services for payment.