By the end of year two, students pursuing the PT Pathway must complete the following requirements:
HPS Retention Requirements:
- Achieve a cumulative GPA of at least a 3.5; GPA may not fall below a 3.25 in any semester
- Accumulate a total of 150 hours of clinical observation, health-related volunteer experience, health-related internship experience, or direct patient care experience
- Provide a positive clinical supervisor evaluation
- Maintain membership in at least one student health-related organization (e.g. Pre-PT Student Association)
- Attend at least one group advisement session conducted by the HPS committee
- Provide evidence of endorsement of MSU Public Affairs Mission through completion of a minimum of 30 hours of community service (please note - hours completed through service learning or for scholarship renewal may be counted).
PT Pathway Requirements:
- Complete the following PT pre-requisites with a "C" or better:
- CHM 170: General Chemistry II
- CHM 171: General Chemistry II Lab
- BMS 230: Human Genetics (if BMS 110 was taken) or BIO 122: General Biology II (if BIO 121 was taken)
- PSY 121: Introductory Psychology
- Please note that 100 of the required 500 total clinical experience hours must include direct observation of licensed physical therapists in at least four different settings.
- No less than a "C" required in all PT pre-requisite coursework (with the exception of BMS 307 and 308, which must be passed with a "B-" or better).
- Students may wish to take additional life science classes to help strengthen their application.
- Failure to meet above requirements may result in probation or dismissal from the HPS program.