This is a one-week workshop providing faculty with hands-on training and work time to develop an online course. At the end of the boot camp, faculty will have created a significant portion of their course and earn a badge that will apply toward online course certification program.
The Online Course Development Boot Camp is open to all MSU faculty. You do not need to be an expert in Blackboard but you should know how to add content and be familiar with tools such as the discussion board, test manager, and grade center. Faculty should also bring their laptop to work on during the boot camp.
Date: January 8 – 12, 2018
Time: 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
At the end of the boot camp, you will:
- Demonstrate a knowledge of best practices that are related to online courses and teaching.
- Create a course structure and begin building your course in Blackboard.
- Demonstrate a basic knowledge of technology tools and their use in online teaching (lecture capture, test proctoring tools, and others).
- Translate learning activities to the online classroom and create opportunities for student collaboration and engagement.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of legal and ethical issues associated with online teaching such as copyright, accessibility, and academic integrity.
Boot camp participants will meet with an instructional designer to begin the course planning process prior to the one-week boot camp. This will be an “on-paper” planning activity in preparation for the hands-on workshop.
This is an immersive-style workshop and upon completion faculty will have one of the badges required for the Online Course certification as well as completing a significant portion of the development of their online course. They can continue working with an instructional designer on the completion of their course development and the certification program.
The MS Online Course Development Stipend may apply to courses developed by faculty going through the boot camp once the courses have been fully developed and reviewed by an instructional designer in the FCTL.
Contact the firstname.lastname@example.org or call 836-3059 to register for the Online Course Development Boot Camp.
Registration deadline is October 31, 2017.