Simultaneous Degree

Information for students seeking degrees simultaneously with Missouri University of Science and Technology and Missouri State University

Office of Enrollment Services
Revised June 24, 2013

If you are in the cooperative engineering program with Missouri University of Science and Technology (S&T) and Missouri State University (MSU), then you are aware from the cooperative engineering office of the unique aspects of this program, including the fact that you will be simultaneously enrolled with both institutions and that your degree will be from S&T and not MSU.

It is possible to pursue a major and degree with MSU at the same time. The following provides information on steps you should take and things you will need to know to ensure progress toward both degrees. We encourage you to meet with the associate dean of the College of Natural and Applied Sciences to review your plans and the information contained in this document prior to declaring your MSU major.

Declaring your major

To declare your MSU major, please contact the associate registrar in the office of the registrar (Carrington Hall, Room 320). You should also contact the department of your MSU major to be assigned to an MSU advisor.

In our student information system, we have a "placeholder" code to identify students in the cooperative engineering program. Because it is not an MSU degree program, it is not associated with degree requirements at MSU. (Your engineering program degree audit is maintained by Missouri S&T.)

When you declare an MSU major, it will be listed as your "secondary" major in our student information system and the code for the cooperative engineering program will be listed as your primary program to enable us to track your participation in that program.

As a result, your degree audit on MyMissouriState will not show your MSU major and degree.

However, you will be able to monitor your progress toward your MSU major and degree utilizing the "what-if" option provided by our degree audit system. You will find instructions for running a "what if" audit when you choose the degree audit function on MyMissouriState.

When you run a "what if" audit you must enter your specific MSU program code and catalog year. The advisor for your MSU program will be able to assist you with this. Please encourage your advisor to place a note in your advising notes (also on MyMissouriState) regarding your program code and catalog year to serve as a reference to you and to others in the future.

A "what if" degree audit can be generated for only one major. If you also choose to pursue a minor at MSU, it will not appear on the "what-if" degree audit. You will need to keep track of this independently. When you apply to graduate from MSU, we will manually compare your academic record to your minor catalog year requirements.

You cannot pursue only a minor at MSU. Minors must be associated with an MSU major and degree.

General education requirements

By completing either your S&T degree or what is known as the "Missouri 42-hour block" at S&T, you will be considered as having met MSU general education requirements. When you notify the associate registrar of your intent to pursue an MSU major and degree, that office will contact the office of admissions which in turn will make an entry on your transfer evaluation indicating that your general education requirements are "in progress" through Missouri S&T.

Once we have received verification from S&T that you have completed your degree or the 42-hour block, the office of admissions will change that entry from "in progress" to complete. Thus, as long as you will complete your S&T degree before or at the same time that you complete your MSU degree, you do not need to be concerned with the MSU general education requirements (though you would need to complete any general education courses that may be specifically required for your MSU major).

Posting of transfer credit

Through our agreement with S&T, we will receive your updated S&T transcript at the end of each semester. We will award transfer credit accordingly which will become a part of your MSU record (shown as transfer credit, not MSU credit). Most of your credit will appear as electives, and all of your credit will be designated as either lower division or upper division.

Elective credit is applicable to the 120-hour requirement for graduation from MSU, and your upper-division transfer credit will apply toward the MSU 40-hour upper division requirement. Please be aware that it may take some time at the end of each semester before your transfer credit is posted.

One component of the MSU residence requirement states that students must "Complete at least 20 out of the last 30 hours in courses administered by the Springfield campus." If you are pursuing degrees from both institutions simultaneously, it is possible that you will not meet this requirement.

If so, it will be waived as long as you meet other components of our residence requirement (i.e., at least 30 hours of courses administered by the Springfield campus and at least 12 hours of upper-division credit in the major in courses administered by the Springfield campus). If you will require a waiver of the "20 of the last 30" requirement, contact the associate dean of the College of Natural and Applied Sciences when you apply to graduate from MSU.

Financial aid

As noted in the cooperative engineering program agreement, your financial aid will be administered by MSU. If you are receiving an MSU scholarship, you may only receive it your first and second years even if you are pursuing degrees from both institutions simultaneously. MSU scholarships require that students enroll in, and complete, 30 hours of MSU credit each year. S&T courses are not applicable to this requirement.

Once you have graduated from either institution, you will no longer be eligible for a Pell grant. Depending on the sequence of events, it is possible that you would be awarded a Pell grant for a semester following your graduation from the first institution that you would later need to return.

Simultaneous enrollment can also sometimes generate other issues with regard to financial aid. If you have questions or experience problems, please be sure to contact the MSU office of student financial aid.

Verification of graduation

If you will complete both your S&T and MSU degrees during the same semester, we will need to receive verification of your S&T degree prior to awarding your MSU degree in order to waive your general education requirements, unless you provide verification of completing the 42-hour block as noted above. This may cause a slight delay in the awarding of your MSU degree.

To be eligible for scholastic honors upon graduation from MSU, you will need to meet established MSU criteria. To qualify for honors, students must meet the GPA requirement based both on their MSU GPA and their combined (MSU and transfer) GPA.

Your S&T degree will be recorded on your S&T transcript, not your MSU transcript. Your MSU degree will be recorded on your MSU transcript. Thus, when verifying your degrees (e.g., for employers or graduate schools), you will need to request your transcripts from both institutions.

Because of the special circumstances associated with pursuing simultaneous degrees from two institutions, you may sometimes experience difficulties with enrollment-related functions (e.g., registration, degree audit, and financial aid) that a typical student would not encounter. If you do encounter issues not listed above, please contact the associate dean of the College of Natural and Applied Sciences.

Best wishes in your pursuit of both your S&T and MSU degrees!

For additional information

Associate Dean
College of Natural and Applied Sciences
Temple 142

Office of Enrollment Services
Carrington 304

Office of the Registrar
Carrington 320

Office of Student Financial Aid
Carrington 101