Department Heads’ Meeting Minutes
September 6, 2007 – 11:00 a.m.
Present: Michael Sheng (HST), Pam Sailors (PHI/ECO), Beat Kernen (PLS), Brendan McKiernan (MIL), Jack Llewellyn (REL), Karl Kunkel (SOC/ANT/CRM), Lorene Stone and Victor Matthews.
- Upcoming Deadlines/Important Dates
September 8 CHPA Picnic
September 10 Applications for CHPA Dean’s Fellows due
September 12 President’s Report to the Campus Community (noon, PSU Theater)
September 17 AAA (3:00-4:30 p.m., PSU 400)
September 17 Department Compensation Plans due to Dean Stone
September 24 Applications for CHPA Incentive Initiatives due
October 2 Applications for Summer Faculty Fellowships due
- Dean Stone will be out of the office for the Kansas City BOG and Alumni Event on September 13-14 and on September 20-23 for vacation.Dr. Matthews will handle all College emergencies and will hold the Department Heads’ meeting on September 20 to work on compensation plans.
- Dean Stone asked the Department Heads for the following information as soon as possible:
- A detailed plan for carryforward funds.
- Plans for faculty travel for 2007-08.As soon as all the plans are received, Dean Stone will transfer travel money to all department accounts.
- Updated department strategic plans.The Dean will then forward all plans to the Provost.
- With regard to the latest computer virus, Dean Stone announced that Jay Jenkins would be installing the newest anti-virus software today in all classrooms and departmental offices.
- Dates for Training 2007-2008 and 2007-08 Promotion/Tenure Calendar handouts were distributed and discussed.Dean Stone emphasized that documents needing to go further than her office should be submitted to her a week in advance for either review or endorsement.
- Those individuals on the Faculty Concerns Committee will now serve on the CHPA Faculty Advisory Council as well.In the event of opposition to this arrangement, Dean Stone will select other faculty members to serve.LTC McKiernen said he would appoint a representative to the Faculty Advisory Council.
- Academic Affairs has determined that per course faculty hired repeatedly must have a disclosure form submitted each semester or a background check to be paid for by the department concerned.
- Dean Stone emphasized that all faculty (including per course personnel) are required to submit midterm grades for designated students (freshmen, transfer students, etc.) and that Department Heads need to monitor this process to insure its success.
- Dean Stone announced that the College Hiring Plan has been approved by the Provost and positions are being posted.She emphasized the need for written charge letters to committees and will furnish the Department Heads with a copy of a recent Department Head search letter to be used as a sample.
- A Chronicle ad for the two Department Head positions as well as another one for a Middle East Coordinator might be effective.
- Background checks must be done only on the top candidate before a job offer is extended, preferably before salary negotiation takes place.
- With regard to college reimbursement rates for 2007-08, the consensus of the group was to move to the standard university rates.Anything over the set rate would be considered as an out-of-pocket expense.
- Handouts were distributed containing the probable categories and designated amounts for CHPA’s One-Time Budget 2007-08.Dean Stone went over each category listed and asked the Department Heads for any additions, but there were none.
- Dean Stone asked the Department Heads to submit their department policies on graduate program workloads. This would include thesis supervision, etc.