Department Heads’ Meeting Minutes
September 27, 2007 – 11:00 a.m.
Present: Michael Sheng (HST), Pam Sailors (PHI/ECO), Beat Kernen (PLS), Andy Love (MIL), Jack Llewellyn (REL), Karl Kunkel (SOC/ANT/CRM), Lorene Stone and Victor Matthews.
- Upcoming Deadlines/Important Dates
October 1 Performance Rating Criteria (compensation plan) due to the Dean
October 2 Applications for Summer Faculty Fellowships due to Graduate College
October 15 Applications for Graduate Student Recruitment Initiative due to Graduate College
October 15 AAA (3:00-5:00 p.m., PSU 400)
October 24 CHPA Scholarship Banquet
October 26-27 MSU Homecoming
- Proposals for the RFP for Curricular Innovations and Enrichment are due December 1.The Provost wishes to highlight two areas: 1) leadership courses; and 2) revamping “obstacle” courses.
- Dean Stone announced that all the deans have agreed on the Faculty Overload Policy (2.5% per credit) which will be approved on an emergency basis only in CHPA.The new rate goes into effect during Fall 2008.
- Dean Stone announced that Pat Gartin (CRM) has been selected as the CHPA Dean’s Fellow in Research/CHPA Research Coordinator and will be available to assist faculty with grant writing
- FREUP has been approved and construction will commence soon on Siceluff and Temple Halls, as well as other Phase I projects.
- Scheduled times for Department Heads to meet and interview the two DOD candidates will be Friday, September 30 (11:15-11:45) and Tuesday, October 2 (11:00-11:30).
- Drury University’s Annual Interdisciplinary Research Conference will be held on March 7-8, 2008. Students should be encouraged to submit papers or abstracts by the due date of December 14, 2007.
- Searches/Hiring Update:Dean Stone reported that all positions have been posted, the ads are out, and applications are expected soon.
- It was announced that CHPA’s One-Time Budget 2007-08 has been approved by the Provost and shared with the Faculty Advisory Council.
- The latest CHPA Delaware data were distributed and discussed.Dean Stone expressed her satisfaction with the current positions of all departments.
- Dean Stone stated that six Futures Proposals from the college have been submitted. In addition, 30+ CHPA Initiatives Proposals have been submitted to the Dean’s office with decisions to be made in mid-October.
- E-mails have been sent to the Department Heads on the Continuing Education Reorganization document.Input opinions may be submitted either to Dr. Madeleine Kernen or Dean Stone.