Department Heads’ Meeting Minutes
September 25, 2008 – 9:30 a.m.
Present: Ardeshir Dalal (ECO), Tom Dicke (HST), Kirby Hanson (MIL), Pam Sailors (PHI), George Connor (PLS), Jack Llewellyn (REL), Karl Kunkel (SOC/ANT/CRM), and Victor Matthews. Donna Merrell, CHPA Director of Development, was a guest.
Ms. Merrell distributed information regarding a forthcoming Alumni Fellows Program (February 8-10, 2009) to recognize and engage alumni with the College and the University. She asked the Department Heads to be thinking of outstanding alumni names for consideration, one to be selected from each college.
Upcoming Deadlines/Important Dates
- September 26 President’s Open Forum (2:00-3:00 p.m., LIBR 101), “Nature and Mission of the Institution in National and State Context”
- September 30 Submission of enrollment targets for graduate programs
- October 1 College Reports due to Provost on Public Affairs in the Major
- October 1 Provost Research Forum (12:00 noon, PSU 313). George Connor will be one of the presenters.
- October 3 Revised Departmental Compensation Plans due to the Interim Dean
- October 4 Showcase, “Meet the Faculty” (9:30-1:00, PSU Ballroom) A representative from each department who is able to speak about all programs should be present the entire time.
- October 6 Second Deadline for submission of CHPA Incentive Initiative Proposals
- October 6 Faculty Research grant applications due to Graduate College
- October 7 Springfield College Fair (4:30-7:30 p.m., University Plaza Convention Center) Two Department Heads were asked to be present each hour.
- October 10 Completed Tenure and Promotion Files submitted to Department Heads (including External Review letters)
- October 13 Completed Tenure and Promotion files sent to Departmental Tenure and Promotion Committees
- October 14 Summer Fellowship applications due to Graduate College
- October 14 Mini Majors Fair (9:00-12:00, STRO Atrium)
- October 22 CHPA Scholarship Banquet (6:00-9:00 p.m., Kentwood Crystal Room)
The latest draft of the inventory of items dealing with Public Affairs in the Major (handout) was discussed. The Department Heads were asked for any additional items to be submitted prior to October 1 (preliminary report due), after which the Deans will discuss all of the college reports on October 8. The final report is due on October 15.
- Updates on Compensation Plan Revisions were discussed.
- It was determined that representatives from the Career Center and Area Studies would be asked to attend the Mini Majors Fair on October 14, and that 12 tables would be sufficient.
- CHPA’s mentoring policy was discussed wherein all new faculty are assigned a mentor for suggested regular contact at least once a month. Dr. Matthews asked the Department Heads to talk both with their mentors and those being mentored to make sure the process is working.
Deadlines for submission of Summer and Fall 2009 intersession proposals was discussed:
- October 20, 2008 (Monday) to Department Heads
- October 24, 2008 (Friday) from Department Heads to Dean
- No proposals will be accepted after October 20, 2008
Dates for Summer and Fall Intersession courses:
- Summer 2009 Intersession: May 18 to June 5
- Fall 2009 Intersession: August 3 to August 21
Dates for Summer 2009 Session:
- June 8 to July 31 – regular 8-week summer session
- Commencement: July 24