Department Heads' Meeting
September 23, 2011
Present: Victor Matthews, Pam Sailors, Ardeshir Dalal, George Connor, Patti Salinas (for Craig Hemmens), Kathleen Kennedy, Jack Llewellyn, Bill Wedenoja, Troy Wisdom
Dates to Remember:
Sept 26 MSU Faculty Research Grant deadline
Sept 27 Major’s Fair, 9:00 am to 3:00 pm in PSU Ballroom
Sept 28 State of the University Address, PSU Theater, Noon
Sept 30 CHPA Assessment Council Meeting at 3:00 pm in STRO 250
Oct 5 Deadline for application for Provost Fellow for Public Affairs (2012-13)
Oct 6 Public Affairs Convocation Lecture – Douglas Rushkoff, 7:00 pm, PSU Theater
Oct 8 Showcase recruitment event
- Reactions to Susan Hatfield’s presentation on program assessment: the general consensus was that although her presentation was fairly elementary it was a useful set of information to share with faculty and to help with our process of developing programmatic SLO’s.
- Enrollment Management (see attached excel reports) – these reports have a bearing on future hiring plans, scheduling issues, and access – we will be setting goals for number of majors in undergraduate and graduate programs for next year. Heads were asked to take into account and report on faculty who plan to apply for sabbatical, retire, resign, or take leaves of absence in the 2012-2013 academic year. They were also asked to evaluate the use of lecturers and per course as they developed their fall 2012 schedule.
- Summer and Fall 2012 course schedules (see attached file listing our per course instructors in fall 2011). Heads were asked to work with their faculty to determine interest in teaching intersession and summer session courses.
- Space audit: Heads were asked to report on the number of empty faculty offices in their suite.
- Classroom update proposals
- replacement of vertical blinds in classrooms
- replacement of overhead projectors with document cameras
- replacement of swivel chairs in tiered classrooms
- variety of suggestions to improve CHK 102