Department Heads’ Meeting Minutes
September 19, 2008 – 9:30 a.m.
Ardeshir Dalal (ECO), Tom Dicke (HST), Kirby Hanson (MIL), Pam Sailors (PHI), George Connor (PLS), Jack Llewellyn (REL), Karl Kunkel (SOC/ANT/CRM), and Victor Matthews. Andrea Mostyn, Assistant Director, University Communications, was a guest. Ms. Mostyn distributed a handout outlining the goal of University Communications (“to assist Missouri State University in attaining its recruitment, enrollment and advancement objectives through focused public relations activities”) and elaborated on how CHPA faculty and staff could avail themselves of specific services offered to attain their objectives.
Upcoming Deadlines/Important Dates
- September 18 OTC Campus Visit (3:00-5:00 p.m., PSU 400). Dr. Matthews asked all Department Heads to attend.
- September 20 CHPA Picnic (5:00-7:00 p.m., Phelps Grove Pavillion)
- September 23 All-CollegeMeeting (3:30-5:00 p.m., STRO 004)
- September 26 President’s Open Forum (2:00-3:00 p.m., LIBR 101) Topic: “Nature and Mission of the Institution in National and State Context”
- October 1 College Reports due to Provost on Public Affairs in the Major
- October 5 Second Deadline for submission of CHPA Incentive Initiative Proposals
- October 6 Submission deadline for Faculty Research grant applications
- October 14 Submission deadline: Summer Fellowship application
- October 22 CHPA Scholarship Banquet (6:00-9:00 p.m., Kentwood Crystal Room)
The Springfield News-Leader is once again asking for faculty book reviews. Interested faculty should contact Don Hendricks, University Communications, with the titles of books they wish to review.
Hiring updates were furnished by each department; all are proceeding satisfactorily.
Each Department Head gave an update on his/her department’s compensation plan and were encouraged to attend the Compensation Committee meeting on September 19 from 2:00-3:30 p.m.
The CHPA Recruitment and Retention Committee met last week and decided to hold a Mini Majors Fair in the Atrium on October 14 from 9:00-12:00. Dr. Matthews will contact Andrea Mostyn for promotion assistance and tables will be provided for each department.
At this week’s Academic Leadership Council meeting the Provost introduced the concept of a new public affairs promotional program, “Bear in a Bag,” wherein items from the bookstore would be given to service agencies and businesses willing to accept and display the gifts. Dr. Matthews asked the Department Heads to furnish the names of possible participants to him.
Dr. Matthews addressed issues involved with the new Banner software system transition, first praising all CHPA Administrative Assistants for their cooperation and efforts in the training thus far. The advisement process may need to be more proactive and faculty will be asked to give mid-term grades for all 100- and 200-level classes.