Department Heads’ Meeting Minutes
September 11, 2008 – 9:30 a.m.
Ardeshir Dalal (ECO), Tom Dicke (HST), Kirby Hanson (MIL), Pam Sailors (PHI), George Connor (PLS), Jack Llewellyn (REL), Karl Kunkel (SOC/ANT/CRM), and Victor Matthews. Jana Estergard and Christina Hicks, Office for Equity and Diversity, were guests.
With CHPA having nine new hires this year, Jana Estergard and Christina Hicks were invited to discuss hiring plans and present strategies for a good hiring season. Jana emphasized the need to include efforts to recruit qualified minority candidates for these positions. Additionally, it was pointed out that there has been a significant increase in applicants since on-line applications have become available. Department Heads and search committees were encouraged to seek help if needed from the Office of Equity and Diversity during any stage of the hiring process.
- Upcoming Deadlines/Important Dates
- September 15 AAA (3:00 p.m., PSU 400)
- September 18 OTC Campus Visit (3:00-5:00 p.m., PSU 400)
- September 20 CHPA Picnic (5:00-7:00 p.m., Phelps Grove Pavillion)
- September 25 All-Faculty Meeting (3:30-5:00 p.m., STRO 004)
- October 5 Second Deadline for submission of CHPA Incentive Initiative Proposals
- October 6 Submission deadline for Faculty Research grant applications
- October 14 Submission deadline: Summer Fellowship application
- October 22 CHPA Scholarship Banquet (6:00-9:00 p.m., Kentwood Crystal Room)
- Each Department Head gave an update on his/her department’s compensation plan. The next Compensation Committee meeting will be on September 19 from 2:00-3:30 p.m.
- Department Heads were asked to continue the faculty discussion of things they are currently doing or would like to do to support the Public Affairs mission. Among the co-curricular items cited as successful examples were History Day, the Model U.N., and the Freedom Trail trip.
- Dr. Matthews asked the Department Heads for any anticipated changes to Promotion and Tenure plans. Those departments who have not added Senior Instructor to their plans need to do so. The departments of REL and SOC will share their formats.