Department Heads’ Meeting Minutes
October 18, 2007 – 11:00 a.m.
Present: Thornton Miller (HST), Pam Sailors (PHI/ECO), George Connor (PLS), Jack Llewellyn (REL), Karl Kunkel (SOC/ANT/CRM), Lorene Stone and Victor Matthews.
- Upcoming Deadlines/Important Dates
October 24 CHPA Scholarship Banquet (6:30-8:30 p.m., Kentwood Hall)
October 26-27 MSU Homecoming (alumni tent to be catered by Crosstown Barbeque)
November 1 Revised Tenure and Promotion documents due to the Dean
November 1 Workshop: Meeting Milestones Leading to Tenure & Promotion (3:00-5:00, PSU 400)
November 5 Sabbatical Leave applications due to the Dean
November 7 Provost Research Forum – John Chuchiak (HST)
November 30 Summer and Fall 2008 Intersession proposals due to Department Head
- Dr. Stone will be on sick leave from October 22 until mid-November; Dr. Matthews will handle the day-to-day operations of the college during this time.
- Distribution of the complimentary Springfield News-Leader will be discontinued on November 1.
- CBHE budget recommendation for FY09 includes a 4.2% increase for Missouri State University.
- Consumer Information Regulations (including student evaluation ratings) will go into effect in Fall 2009.
- Searches/Hiring Update:Sociology/Anthropology/Criminology and Political Science reported receiving ample applications for their open positions; Religious Studies is in the process of accepting application materials.
- Dean Stone cited an email from Dr. Art Spisak calling for nominees for the Washington Center Presidential Series and hoping to send up to 10 students.This information should be shared with interested students, and nominations are due as soon as possible.
- According to Dr. Bill Alter, the Credit-Sharing Plan for Multi-Investigator Grants will be finalized soon.This plan to distribute indirect fees will benefit faculty who are working on interdisciplinary/inter-college grants.
- Dean Stone stated that all departments need to establish Senior Instructor criteria in tenure and promotion documents in order to accurately measure standards for promotion.Discussion by the department heads followed.