CHPA Department Heads Meeting
October 15, 2009
Those Present: Victor Matthews, Pam Sailors, George Connor, Ardeshir Dalal, Tom Dicke, Kirby Hansen, Karl Kunkel, Jack Llewellyn.
Dates to Remember:
Oct 19 AAA, PSU 400
Oct 19 Richard Hughes presentation, “Christian America and the Kingdom of God,” 7:30 pm, LIB 101
Oct 22 CHPA Research Forum, Ralph Shain will present. STRO 203 from 3:30 - 4:30 p.m.
Oct 29 CHPA Scholarship Banquet, 6:00-7:30 pm, PSU 400.
Oct 30 Department T & P Committee completes its assessment with recommendations and rationale to Department Head. Candidate receives Committee’s report and has 3 business days to review, respond, sign and return to Department (Nov. 2-4, 2009)
Oct 31 Homecoming
Nov 2 Applications for Summer Faculty Fellowship due in the Graduate Office
Nov 2 Sabbatical Leave Applications due to the Dean
1. In the wake of President Nietzel’s Town Hall Meeting and the issues he raised on budget cutting strategies, the Heads discussed possible strategies associated with the proposed retirement incentive program and ways to cut costs in the college. The Heads were urged to bring ideas or issues to ask Dr. Nietzel at the next AAA meeting.
2. Sabbatical Applications are due on November 2. The Dean noted that the number of sabbaticals awarded likely will be smaller than in previous years and that the committee will be asked to rank proposals. It was also noted that the Heads would have to explain how their department would be able to cope with the absence of faculty on sabbatical.
3. Each of the Heads was asked to submit an evaluation of their use of Gas. From the comments in the meeting it appears clear that they are all being used either as TAs or as Research assistants.
4. Heads were reminded that they need to begin building the 2010 spring intersession, summer, and fall schedule. Heads were asked to submit a draft schedule by November 16, 2009.
5. The college has been asked to develop Public Affairs intensive options (recouping two hours from GEP 397). CGEIP will develop a list including service learning, study away, and co-curricular options. The decision was made to wait until CGEIP has acted.
6. In our discussion of possible ways to get more use out of the radio and TV stations, George Connor mentioned a new public option television program and encouraged the other Heads to check into that to help publicize their programs and activities.