Department Heads’ Meeting Minutes
October 11, 2007 – 11:00 a.m.
Present: Kevin Pybas (PLS), Pam Sailors (PHI/ECO), Brendan McKiernan (MIL), Jack Llewellyn (REL), Pat Gartin (SOC/ANT/CRM), Michael Sheng (HST), Lorene Stone and Victor Matthews.
Upcoming Deadlines/Important Dates
- October 15 Applications for Graduate Student Recruitment Initiative due to Graduate College (Einhellig).
- October 15 AAA, 3:00-5:00 p.m., PSU 400
- October 24 CHPA Scholarship Banquet, 6:30 – 8:30 p.m., The Crystal Room, Kentwood Hall.
- October 26-27 MSU Homecoming
- November 1 Revised Tenure & Promotion documents due to the Dean
- November 1 Workshop: Meeting Milestones Leading to Tenure & Promotion, 3:00-5:00, PSU 400
- November 5 Sabbatical Leave applications due to the Dean
- November 30 Summer and Fall 2008 Intersession proposals due to Department Heads
- Dr. Maurice Tate, Instructor of African American Studies, will also be the new CHPA Student Success Coordinator. Dr. Tate has a background in advising and will serve as a backup advisor to Faculty. His office is in the Religious Studies wing.
- 37 Futures Proposals were turned into the Provost, including 5 from CHPA. Status of these will be reported in November.
- Dean Stone distributed a handout regarding the University-wide Grant-Writing Workshop (funded by the Office of Sponsored Research) which will be held November 26-27th.
- Dean Stone would like departments to mark their Spring 2008 Per Course PAF’s with a sticky note designating online courses, night courses (after 4:00 pm), etc.
- The Dean would like to see 100% cooperation with mid-term grades and getting these in on time. This includes dual credit teachers and all faculty. Dean Stone urges Department Heads to send out reminders.
- Class Schedule Building Guidelines are on the web under the Office of the Registrar, page 9. Department heads were advised to follow these guidelines.
- Searches/Hiring Update: Religious Studies has 3 almost complete applications, ads are posted and the first review will be at the end of the month. History has quite a few applicants for the European search and needs applicants for the Middle East position. Political Science, Philosophy, and Economics are accepting more applications as the review period begins soon.
- Compensation Plans Update: Department Plans have been sent to the College Compensation Committee.The Dean reviewed the College Summary, which states the changes made by the departments from last year to this year.This summary along with the department plans will be sent to the Provost’s office for approval.
- Program Review Update: Political Science has had their first Consultant review the undergraduate programs. Dean Stone reported he gave the Department good suggestions and was very thorough in his review.
CHPA Initiatives Proposals Updates: The Committee recommended awards totaling approximately $143,000 for 27 projects. The award letters are being prepared and will be distributed shortly. Dean Stone said copies of the letters would be sent to the Department Heads with a total amount of money that will be transferred into the Department account. The money MUST be spent by June 30, 2008. An additional request for proposals will take place in January for the remaining $57,000. The Dean was very pleased with the variety of the proposals.