Department Heads’ Meeting Minutes
November 2, 2006 – 11:00 a.m.
Thornton Miller (HST), Jon Bryan (MIL), Pam Sailors (PHI/ECO), Jim Kaatz (PLS), Jim Moyer (REL), Karl Kunkel (SOC), Victor Matthews and Lorene Stone.
- Upcoming Deadlines/Important Dates
Nov 6 Sabbatical Applications due to Dean’s Office
Nov 14 Deadline for department heads to notify Dean of recommendation for appointment/non-appointment of 2nd year faculty
Nov 15/16 Thank-you calling for annual phone campaign.With six volunteers thus far, Department Heads were encouraged to solicit student participation.
Nov 20 AAA, 3:00-5:00 p.m. (PSU 400)
Nov 29 Academic Affairs Day – USA Program
- Dean Stone and Dr. Matthews will be out-of-the-office on November 8 through November 11 to attend a national Deans’ conference in Boston; Dr. Kunkel will handle any College emergencies.
- Dean Stone cited two programs (Phi Kappa Phi Graduate Fellowship and Study Abroad Grant) as being good opportunities for students.Fliers will be posted on the bulletin board outside the Dean’s office.
- Dr. Matthews reported that the Ad Hoc Committee on Student Evaluations met on October 30 with consensus not to change the basic questions. Two minor changes were recommended by the committee and will be posted on the CHPA website.Dr. Matthews added that the old forms will be used this summer and the new forms will be disseminated in spring 2007.
- Dean Stone asked the Department Heads to make appointments with her to discuss Compensation Plan weights.She will need justifications, especially when research is rated higher than teaching, to bring to the Provost next week.Dr. Matthews discussed two minor changes in the Faculty Activity Report.No additional changes were suggested by the Department Heads.
- The committee for the Provost’s Research Incentive Proposal has submitted its rankings to the Provost.A total of 38 proposals (requesting @ $4 million) were ranked.Final decisions should be announced by November 15 by the Provost’s office.
- Dean Stone distributed the CHPA College Priorities 2006-2007.It will be placed on the CHPA website.
Dean Stone asked the Department Heads for input regarding budget requests and reallocated monies.There was consensus that the CHPA financial situation might best be presented at a college meeting in order to build morale and insure faculty awareness.Dean Stone agreed to schedule an all-college meeting during the first week of the spring semester.