Department Heads’ Meeting Minutes
November 16, 2006 – 11:00 a.m.
Michael Sheng (HST), Brendan McKiernan (MIL), Pam Sailors (PHI/ECO), Beat Kernan (PLS), Jim Moyer (REL), Karl Kunkel (SOC/ANT/CRM), Victor Matthews and Lorene Stone.
Guests:: Jeff Morrissey, Andy Lokie, Theresa McCoy, Mark Carson, Kevin Pearcy, and Chad Klingensworth from Computer Services.The purpose of the “IT Roadshow” is to encourage Department Heads to discuss their likes, dislikes, things to be discontinued, and things to be implemented in interactions with Information Technology.Mr. Morrissey said that high priorities are being given to classroom security, responsibility for replacing stolen equipment, and obtaining additional SCUF workers on an as-needed basis.
- Upcoming Deadlines/Important Dates
November 15-16 Thank-you calling for annual phone campaign.Dean Stone commended the good response from Military Science in helping to meet college responsibilities.
November 20 AAA (PSU 400, 3:00-5:00 p.m.)
November 28 Town Hall Meeting on Compensation Plan (STRO 002, 3:30-5:00 p.m.). Faculty with
questions should plan to attend.
November 29 Academic Affairs Day – USA Program
November 30 CHPA Heads’ Meeting with Provost (CAR 203, 8:00 a.m.) which is expected to deal with communication and collegiality.THIS MEETING HAS BEEN CANCELLED.
November 30 CHPA Retirement Reception (Atrium, 3:00-5:00 p.m.) for Jeff Nash and Juris Zarins (SOC/ANT/CRM), Donna Smith (PHI), and Jim Giglio (HST).
December 8 CHPA End-of-Semester Reception (Dean’s Conf. Room, 11:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.)
December 15 CHPA Graduate Reception (Atrium, 1:30 p.m.) and MSU Commencement (Hammons Student Center, 4:00 p.m.)
- Dr. Matthews asked for submission of the Fall 2007 Class Schedules no later than Tuesday, November 21.
- Dean Stone stated that CHPA has NO sabbatical applications for 2007-2008.The ¾ pay for full year sabbaticals begins in 2007-2008 with all six Deans committed to this policy
- Dean Stone asked the Department Heads to reinforce the Final Examination Week policy of ALL classes meeting at the scheduled times unless prior arrangements are approved by the Department Head and Dean.
- Dean Stone announced that CHPA will sponsor a keynote speaker for the Public Affairs Conference.The College Public Affairs Conference Committee is also working on a panel.
- The agenda for the Academic Chairpersons Conference in Orlando, Florida (February 7-9, 2007) is available in the Dean’s office.
- Dean Stone distributed a draft handout (“Implementing the Missouri State University Compensation Plan”) and asked the Department Heads to respond directly to the Provost with any comments.She also distributed a second handout (“Compensation Matrix Recommended Guidelines”).The Provost is planning to distribute these handouts to all campus faculty in the near future.