Department Heads’ Meeting Minutes
May 29, 2008 – 9:30 a.m.
Present: Tom Dicke (HST), Brendan McKiernan (MIL), Pam Sailors (PHI/ECO), Kevin Pybus (PLS), Jack Llewellyn (REL), Pat Gartin (SOC/ANT/CRM), and Lorene Stone.
Upcoming Deadlines/Important Dates
- June 9 Outside Remunerated Activities forms due to Dean
- Dean Stone announced the resignation of Kent Kay, Chief Financial Officer, effective in July.
- A variety of calendars (budget, public affairs, tenure/promotion, etc.) are being developed by the Provost’s office.
- With regard to the Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) seminars, Madeleine Kernen has emphasized availability of additional funding.The goal is to send at least one faculty member per college who would then be expected to share acquired information with the campus community upon return.
- Theme selection for next year’s Public Affairs Conference will be made in June.Faculty are encouraged to send ideas to the Provost’s office.
- Dean Stone addressed Reappointment and Yearly Performance Reviews, pointing out that second year reappointment reviews should occur ONLY if there are problems/concerns.
- Department Heads were asked to think about proposals for Futures Initiatives for 2008-09 and were advised that the Provost has allocated $300,000 for targeted areas (student success, Ozarks Studies, etc.)
- Hiring updates were furnished by each department; all are proceeding satisfactorily.
- Dean Stone provided a handout outlining CHPA Department Comparisons (Base Operations Budgets, 2008-09) which was subsequently discussed.The Provost has indicated she may contribute additional operations funds after all Deans have equalized their budgets.
- With regard to the current Program Review (SOC/ANT/CRM), Self-Reports are due to Dean Stone tomorrow for submission to the Provost on June 2.External Reviewers should be selected by June 30.
- CHPA Faculty eligible for Tenure and Promotion or Senior Instructor in 2008-09 were named.Dean Stone asked for a final list of external reviewers (four reviewers per candidate) as soon as possible.A sample letter for external reviewers is available from the Provost’s office.Candidates for Full Professor should be identified early (i.e., at least one year before the application process begins) in order to have their vitae evaluated by the Department Head, the Dean, and possibly the Provost.
- An update on Senate Bill 389 indicated a low return rate on faculty teaching evaluations and discussion centered upon collecting a more representative university-wide response.
- Department Heads were invited to attend the interview with Donna Merrell (DOD Candidate) at 10:45.