Department Heads’ Meeting Minutes
March 29, 2007 – 11:00 a.m.
Michael Sheng (HST), Brendan McKiernan (MIL), Pam Sailors (PHI/ECO), Beat Kernen (PLS), Jim Moyer (REL), Karl Kunkel (SOC/ANT/CRM), Lorene Stone and Victor Matthews.
- Upcoming Deadlines/Important Dates
March 29 LEAD Institute Presentation with Provost (PSU 313, 3:00-4:30 p.m.)
April 2 America, Islam and the Middle East Conference (PSU Theater).
Interested faculty and students are encouraged to attend.
April 6 Spring Holiday (offices closed).
April 10 OTC Visit (2:00-4:00 p.m. at OTC).Invitations will be issued soon.
April 12 Provost Research Forum (PSU 313, noon-1:00 p.m.)
April 14 MSU Graduate Interdisciplinary Forum (Plaster Student Union). Departments with graduate programs should encourage faculty attendance.
April 17-20 Public Affairs Conference
May 7 Remunerated Outside Activities for 2006, due to Department Heads
- All University/College calendars will contain major religious holidays (as yet undetermined).
- Due to the recent resignation of the COAL dean, the Provost has assigned Dean Stone to oversee “Imagining America.”CHPA representatives for the campus-wide committee are encouraged, since CHPA humanities departments (History, Philosophy, and Religious Studies) should become active in “Imagining America.”
- The China Program is moving from the West Plains campus to the Springfield campus, and the CHPA will be asked to provide general education courses.More details will follow in the future.
- The Provost feels that the Ozarks Studies Program needs to be enhanced in order to focus attention on the Springfield campus.There will be a call for small proposals ($2,000-$4,000) on related projects.
- Information on students, alumni, or faculty which could be highlighted in the CHPA Spring Newsletter should be sent to John Chuchiak (HST).The newsletter will be distributed in mid-April.
- The CHPA Annual Report 2006 has been placed on the College website.
- Dr. Matthews asked for the Spring Class Schedules no later than May 11.
- Dean Stone distributed an outline of the CHPA performance categories and compensation matrix, and the following points were discussed individually:
- Notification of composite scores should be given to faculty on Monday, April 2.
- Any appeals of composite scores are due by Tuesday, April 10 to the Dean’s office.Performance ratings cannot be appealed at this time.
- The CHPA Compensation Committee will meet today to finalize the matrix and discuss the plan for College equity distribution.
- Final salary adjustments are due to Financial Services in mid-April.
- Staff and College administrators’ evaluations were discussed.
- Weightings for 2007 were discussed.College guidelines should be followed, except in cases of unique workloads.These exceptions must be approved by Dean Stone.It was the general consensus of opinion to continue to do the annual review letters.
- Hiring updates were disclosed by the Department Heads.Dean Stone stated that departments are required to adhere to the college policy for candidate expenses.There has been too much non-compliance of the policy.
- Dean Stone stated that the Provost sees some inconsistencies in Tenure and Promotion documents and that all department documents will need to be evaluated/revised. Dean Stone distributed a handout of the Provost’s overview of tenure/promotion.Department Heads agreed that perhaps this should be discussed more in-depth during department retreats in August.