Department Heads’ Meeting Minutes
March 27, 2008 – 11:00 a.m.
Present: Michael Sheng (HST), Pam Sailors (PHI/ECO), George Connor (PLS), Jack Llewellyn (REL), Karl Kunkel (SOC/ANT/CRM), Victor Matthews and Lorene Stone.Brendan McKiernan (MIL) was absent.
Upcoming Deadlines/Important Dates
- March 31 Notification of faculty composite ratings.Additional information will be posted on the web by Monday, March 31; faculty will have until Friday, April 4, to appeal.
- April 2 Provost Research Forum (PSU 313, noon).Dr. Matthews will be a presenter and faculty are encouraged to attend.
- April 4 Open Forum with Provost (PSU 400, 3:00-4:30 p.m.)
- April 12 Graduate Interdisciplinary Forum (PSU, 8:00 a.m.–3:00 p.m.)
- April 15-18 Public Affairs Conference.Widespread faculty and student involvement is encouraged.
- April 18 Faculty C.V.s due to Dean’s office
- April 28 AAA (PSU 400, 3:00-4:30 p.m.)
- Department Heads were advised that the Office of Equity and Diversity was addressing the issue of Employment of Foreign Nationals and the fact that costs have risen for sponsorship of permanent residency.
- Dean Stone distributed a handout on an Assessment Forum (How Assessment Assists the Faculty in Influencing Student Outcomes) to be held on April 3 (PSU 308, noon-12:50) and asked the Department Heads to encourage their faculties to attend.
- Dean Stone distributed a schedule of workshops for IDS 110 people and asked the Department Heads to pass the information on to those concerned.
- Department Heads were reminded that Official Transcripts for new faculty hires must go to HR; copies should be maintained in both the departmental offices and the Dean’s office.
- CHPA’s nominee for U.S. Professor of the Year was selected as the university’s nominee but declined the nomination.There were no other nominees.
- Dean Stone announced she had talked with all but one Department Head regarding the 2008-2009 budgets and would soon take this information to the Provost.
- Tenure/Promotion Review sessions will be held on Monday and Tuesday (March 31 and April 1).Any faculty member up for tenure/promotion during 2008-2009 should attend one of these meetings.
- A Program Review Format furnished by John Catau, Associate Provost, was distributed, as a document designed to give consultants more structure.
- The Department Head Reappointment Process will involve two CHPA Department Heads this year.Michael Sheng and Jack Llewellyn were asked to chair these committees which will include department faculty, a community person, and a student.
- CHPA Compensation Results are complete and will be distributed to faculty and staff on Monday, March 31.