Minutes – CHPA Department Heads’ Meeting
March 19, 2015
Present: Victor Matthews, Pam Sailors, Steve Berkwitz, Ken Brown, George Connor, Andrew Johnson, Kathleen Kennedy, David Rohall, Patti Salinas
Items for Discussion:
- IRB Applications: for the time being, all applications should be sent to the IRB office rather than to our college representation (Mike Stout).
- Summer and Fall 2015 registration: with pre-registration about to begin, Heads were asked to advertise their courses and make sure all majors and minors are advised.
- Hiring Plan for 2016-2017: faculty searches currently planned include two in History (Medieval and Middle East), one in Religious Studies (Islam).
- Planning Ahead: Heads were asked to supply the Dean with the names of faculty members, who plan to apply for promotion and/or tenure; plan to apply for sabbatical during the 2016-2017 academic year; plan to retire during or at the completion of the 2015-2016 academic year.
- Update on Workload policies: one final read of the college workload policy resulted in a few revisions. It will be submitted to the Provost’s office for their approval. Departmental policies must be submitted to the Dean for approval before being placed on the departmental website.
- Looking ahead to external reviews in History and SOC/ANT in Fall 2015 (see Program Review Process)
- Future program review calendar
- Preparations for college response to Visioning Process and Campus Climate Survey: Heads were asked to keep informed on this process that will eventually lead to the next Long Range Plan.
- Submission of grades: Starting with spring 2015, the deadline for faculty to submit their final grades has changed to 2:00 pm.
Dates and Deadlines
March 19-21 Asian Studies Conference at Hilton Branson Conference Center (Asian Studies Conference)
March 20 Religion in South Asia Conference (w/ six presenters from MSU, MU, Wash U.,
U. Kansas, U. Oklahoma); 9:00 am – 4:15pm, @PSU 317
March 23-24 Women’s Leadership Conference
March 25-27 Statewide Collaborative Diversity Conference, PSU
March 26 CHPA Research Forum featuring Victor H. Matthews, speaking on" Choreographing Characters & Dialogue in the Biblical Text," in STRO 250 at 12:30-1:30 pm.
March 27 Faculty applicants for Tenure/Promotion begin discussion with Heads on
selection of external reviewers
March 27 Department Heads submit Equity Adjustment Requests to Deans you’re your
March 31 Dept Heads prepare and Deans send PAFs for Promotion to Provost’s Office
March 31 Summer and Fall 2015 – Sequenced Registration opens