Department Heads’ Meeting Minutes
March 13, 2008 – 11:00 a.m.
Present: Thornton Miller (HST), Andy Love (MIL), Pam Sailors (PHI/ECO), George Connor (PLS), Jack Llewellyn (REL), Karl Kunkel (SOC/ANT/CRM), Victor Matthews and Lorene Stone.
Upcoming Deadlines/Important Dates
- March 21-30 Spring Holiday/Spring Break
- Dean Stone will be on vacation from March 15-22.Dr. Matthews will handle all College emergencies and will hold the Department Heads’ meeting on March 20 for discussions on the Operations Budgets for 2008-2009.
- Dean Stone reminded the Department Heads to schedule meetings with her during Spring Break to discuss the operations budget for 2008-09 and also their per course needs for fall and spring.
- Volunteers for the approaching Interdisciplinary Forum are George Connor (PLS), Mark Ellickson (PLS), Jim Kaatz (PLS), Jack Llewellyn REL), Eric Nelson (HST), Gabriel Ondetti (PLS), Yuhua Qiao (PLS), and Mike Stout (SOC/ANT/CRM).
- Dean Stone thanked the CHPA faculty who volunteered to help with the Community Caravan [Terrel Gallaway (ECO), Karl Kunkel (SOC/ANT/CRM), Kathy Pulley (REL), Pam Sailors (PHI), John Schmalzbauer (REL) and Victor Matthews].More information on this event will be forthcoming.
- The Department Heads were reminded that updated faculty curricula vitae are due to the Dean’s office by April 18, 2008.
- With the tenure and promotion process starting in the fall, the Department Heads were encouraged to start discussions on possible external reviewers.
- Before leaving for another appointment, Dean Stone reminded the group that discussion next week will be led by Dr. Matthews, focusing on next year’s CHPA public affairs plan to replace GEP 397.
- Although in agreement that Dean Stone’s earlier proposal for a CHPA Dean’s Fellow in Advisement was worthy and that Dr. Carlie’s generous assistance in helping faculty create their own websites would be greatly appreciated, the Department Heads did not support the proposal at this time.
- By majority vote, the Department Heads selected Margie Buckner (SOC/ANT/CRM) as the CHPA nominee for Professor of the Year.
- Dr. Matthews asked the Department Heads for input on an earlier issued Evaluation of Instruction and Advisement in the Major to be given to majors with at least 54 hours and who have completed degree programs.This would be a web-based evaluation administered annually.It was agreed that the following item should be included in the final set of questions:How often did you see your advisor within the last year?
- The weeks of July 21 and July 28 (2 days and 1 night) were suggested by the group as possible Department Heads’ Retreat dates.