Department Heads’ Meeting Minutes
July 26, 2007 – 11:00 a.m.
Present: Marc Cooper (HST), Pam Sailors (PHI/ECO), George Connor (PLS), Jack Llewellyn (REL), Karl Kunkel (SOC/ANT/CRM), Lorene Stone and Victor Matthews.
- Upcoming Deadlines/Important Dates
July 27 Winter Intersession Proposals due to Department Heads.
July 27 Proposals for online program/gen ed course development due to Dean Stone.
August 3 CHPA Graduate Reception/Commencement.Department Heads were asked to encourage graduates to attend.
August 13-14 New Faculty Orientation
August 15 Showcase on Teaching
August 16A ll-Faculty Luncheon
August 19 New Student Convocation.Dr. Elizabeth Rozell (Management) will be speaking, and faculty are encouraged to participate.
August 21 CHPA New Faculty Breakfast.Invitations will be forthcoming.
August 28 All-College Reception/Meeting
August 31 One-page Futures Proposals due to Dean Stone, after which all Deans will work towards prioritization.
September 8 CHPA Picnic.In order not to conflict with religious holidays, the picnic will be held on a Saturday evening for the first time.
- Dr. Stone will be out of the office on August 9-10 for the Deans’ Retreat and on August 13 for the Administrative Council Retreat.Dr. Matthews will handle all College emergencies.
- The Dean’s office has information on the American Academy of Arts & Sciences Visiting Scholars 2008 program with an application deadline of October 15, 2007.
- With regard to tenure and promotion, a list of faculty up for tenure is due from each department to Dean Stone no later than August 20.During 2008-2009, tenure/promotion portfolios will be due in the fall (October or November) instead of in January.
- Notification of non-traditional course delivery must be specified in the course schedule so that students are aware of alternate forms.
- A Living/Learning Community Pilot Project, “Success of the First Year Student,” will take place this year.Selected faculty will soon receive letters encouraging their participation.It is hoped that at least 12 faculty will agree to become involved with this project.
- A Space Needs Survey is being distributed campus-wide.Dean Stone will be checking with Department Heads about their space needs in the next few weeks.
- The Springfield News-Leader has approached President Nietzel about providing weekly (or bi-weekly) faculty authored, 500-word book reviews (non-textbook).The President has agreed to write the first review.A list of suggested books will be put together, and then interested faculty will be asked to write reviews.
- New Department Head contracts will begin on the first day of the academic year (a week before classes start) as opposed to July 1.
- Dr. Matthews spoke to the Evening Gen Ed Block Schedule for 2007-2009 as furnished in a handout from Dean Stone.Religious Studies and Political Science concurred.Pending a response from History, Dean Stone will report to the Provost’s office that the college is committed to the agreement.
- Per Course rates are varied across departments and need to be consistent in the College.Three Per Course levels and their varying rates ($2,100 to $2,700) were discussed.Exceptions to these rates must be discussed with Dean Stone before letters of appointment are sent out.The Overload Rate for 2007-2008 will be $2,700 (not $2,400) in order to be consistent with Per Course Rates.
- Dean Stone distributed a Draft Policy for Appointment to Senior Instructor which outlined the steps leading to appointment to Senior Instructor as presented in the revised Faculty Handbook.There was agreement to begin working on uniform criteria in all departments.
- Hiring – Background Checks must be completed before formal appointment letters are sent out.Dean Stone will authorize these checks.