CHPA Department Heads Minutes
July 22, 2010
Present: Victor Matthews, Pam Sailors, George Connor, Tom Dicke, Jack Llewellyn, Ardeshir Dalal
July 26 AAA in PSU 313 at 3:00 pm -- LRP Workgroup chairs
July 28 Deans’ Retreat, Meyer Alumni Bldg
July 30 Summer Commencement
August 2 Department Heads Retreat
August 18 Showcase on Teaching
August 22 New Student Convocation
August 23 AAA
August 26 All-College Meeting, STRO 001, President Cofer speaking
August 28 CHPA Picnic, STRO Atrium
- Deans are meeting with representatives from Financial Services each month. If you have topics you would like me to address, please let me know.
- University Presidents are meeting with Governor Nixon on Aug. 17 to discuss strategies for cooperation and academic transformation. See the National Center for Academic Transformation.
- Newly passed legislation will affect retirement plans for all hires after January 1, 2011. The HR web page should be updated to explain it.
- The new data resource center can found be here
- Mike Stout (SOC) nominated for GOLD program (see http://www.goldleaders.us)
Points for Discussion:
Draft Strategic Initiative for 2010-2011 - Comments were solicited and discussed on the draft provided by the Provost's office. These were then transmitted to Kathy Coy for inclusion in a new draft that will be discussed at the Deans' Retreat on July 28th.
Hiring Process -- Four faculty searches are now underway: Department Heads in CRM and HST; an African American Historian and an International Relations expert to support the Global Studies masters program. The hope is to complete all searches by the end of the fall 2010 semester.
Fall enrollment -- at the end of SOAR CHPA enrollments are about 93% of the 4th week census in fall 2009. Heads are asked to watch enrollments and if possible add seats in GE and other courses to accommodate late registering transfer and graduate students.