CHPA Heads’ Meeting
July 17, 2014
Present: Victor Matthews, Pam Sailors, Steve Berkwitz, Ken Brown, George Connor, Dan Kaufman, Bill Piston (for Kathleen Kennedy), David Rohall, Patti Salinas, Troy Wisdom
Items for Discussion:
1. Per Course faculty orientation: The Heads were asked to develop a means to provide per course faculty with more information about the university, teaching methods, syllabi, and the new General Education program. Among the ideas to do this was the creation of a Blackboard page for per course where this information could be posted.
2. Recruitment Efforts: Each Head was asked to contact Stacy Funderburk in the Publications Office to have new recruitment materials designed and printed for the upcoming recruiting events. The Dean’s Office will pay for these new publications.
3. Tracking of our grads: Both the university and the Missouri legislature are asking that we do a more effective job of tracking our graduates. Any information obtained by Heads or faculty should be sent to the Career Center with a copy sent to the Dean.
4. Five-year Strategic Plan for departmental hiring: As part of their discussion at departmental retreats or early semester meetings, each Head should initiate the process of creating a strategic hiring plan for the next five years. The departments should consider their future needs and not just the replacement of current specialties.
5. Completion rate for graduate students: A handout from the Registrar’s office was distributed showing six-year graduation rates. Heads and Grad Directors are asked to examine these figures and determine as well as possible the reasons for them as well as formulate strategies to increase that completion rate.
6. Virtual College Fair: While the initial virtual college fair staged by the Graduate College was a great success, it was decided that Departments would once again participate.
7. Grant Writing Activity: Heads were reminded of the $2400 buyout funds available from the office of institution research to assist faculty to have the time to write grants. The Dean is also willing, on occasion to provide reassigned time for the creation of a major external grant.
8. Tracking enrollment of upper division classes: Heads were asked to track trends in their upper division enrollments over the past five years as one determinant of periodicity and a determination of what should be included in the course schedule.
Dates and Deadlines in August
1 Commencement – JQH Arena, 10:00 am
6 Dean's Retreat - Library Center, 8:30 - 3:30
12 New Faculty Orientation, 8:00 am – 1:30 pm
13 28th Showcase on Teaching & Learning, 8:00-1:00
14 All-Faculty Luncheon, 11:30 am – 1:00 pm, PSU Ballroom
15 CHPA Family Picnic – Phelps Grove Pavilion, 5:30 to 7:00 pm
20 CHPA All-College Meeting, STRO 001, 3:30 pm