Department Heads’ Meeting Minutes
January 25, 2007 – 11:00 a.m.
Michael Sheng (HST), Brendan McKiernan (MIL), Pam Sailors (PHI/ECO), Beat Kernan (PLS), Jim Moyer (REL), Karl Kunkel (SOC/ANT/CRM), Lorene Stone and Victor Matthews.
- Upcoming Deadlines/Important Dates
January 25 LEAD: Budgeting with Kent Kay and President Nietzel leading the discussion (PSU 313,
January 26 Deadline for Department Heads to notify Dean of recommendation for appointment/
non-appointment of first-year faculty
January 29 Dean’s List Photo (STRO Atrium, 2:00 p.m.) Students will be approximately 10 minutes
late for class, and the Dean asked that these students be excused by instructors so that
they can be included in this photograph.
February 1 All-College Meeting, rescheduled from January 29 (STRO 004, 3:30-5:00 p.m.)
- Dean Stone exhibited CHPA’s new advertisement in the Springfield Business Journal as a College recruitment tool and offered display copies to the Department Heads.
- The Department Head document has been approved and will appear on the Provost’s website, henceforth to become official, so departmental policies MUST conform with this document.
- To comply with the Provost’s request for new evaluations of Department Heads, a draft Department Head Assessment form is being distributed to Department Heads for feedback. This form will be used by faculty to evaluate Department Heads every year.
- Dean Stone distributed a list of ten partnership items that has been negotiated between Missouri State University and Ozarks Technical Community College, noting that the item of most interest to CHPA would be course-to-course articulation.
- Missouri State Promise has been introduced as a new accessibility initiative offering $1 million in scholarships to qualifying low-income students.
- Dr. Matthews asked the Department Heads to be mindful of CHPA scholarships deadlines
-Strong Family Graduate Scholarship (8 awards) April 9, 2007
-J. C. and Sara Edna Young Scholarship March 30, 2007
-Al and Margaret Hemphill Scholarship March 30, 2007
-CHPA General Scholarship March 30, 2007
- Dean Stone gave a budget update, saying the Provost is gravitating toward approving a new line for Criminology (tied to Homeland Security) instead of approving more Graduate Assistantships in CHPA. The Provost has also proposed a plan where her office will pay for the tuition waivers when departments/colleges cover the stipend for new Graduate Assistantships.
- Dean Stone reiterated that university procedures MUST be followed by search committees and cautioned against using the word “interview” when describing the informal contacts made at professional meetings with candidates.
- A handout was distributed showing a comparison of CUPA median salaries and MSU Median Salaries by college. The deans have requested information by department.