Department Heads’ Meeting Minutes
January 24, 2008– 11:00 a.m.
Present: Michael Sheng (HST), Brendan McKiernan (MIL), Pam Sailors (PHI/ECO), George Connor (PLS), Jack Llewellyn (REL), Karl Kunkel (SOC/ANT/CRM), Tim Stipp, Victor Matthews and Lorene Stone.
Upcoming Deadlines/Important Dates
- January 28 AAA (3:00 p.m., PSU 400)
- January 31 Department committees submit narrative assessments of each faculty member and ratings of each of the three performance dimensions to Department Heads
- February 6 Provost Research Forum
- February 15 Department Head tenure and promotion recommendations due to Dean
- February 28 Department Heads complete individual meetings with faculty as part of the annual performance review, composite ratings and role parameter weights
- February 28 Department Annual Report (2007) due to Dean
- March 3 Composite ratings of faculty due to Dean
- Dean Stone reminded department heads to make an appointment with her to discuss faculty workloads for Fall 2008 and to make an appointment with Associate Dean Matthews to discuss the department’s assessment plan.
- The Provost has stipulated that no more than two decision package items could be submitted to her from each Cost Center in Academic Affairs.Dean Stone discussed the CHPA Decision Package request.
- The group discussed the new staff compensation system and staff evaluations.Dean Stone emphasized that it is important that all evaluations of staff be comparable across the College.Employee pay grade and salary notifications will be distributed on Friday, January 25.
- Dean Stone presented some initial computations on the “average cost per faculty” by department and College.These amounts will be used to enhance department operations budgets (if approved by the Provost).
- Dean Stone, Associate Dean Matthews, and Tim Stipp left the meeting.The Department Heads interviewed Professor Ardeshir Dalal, ECO Department Head candidate.