Department Heads’ Meeting Minutes
January 22, 2009 – 9:30 a.m.
Those Present: Ardeshir Dalal (ECO), Tom Dicke (HST), Kirby Hanson (MIL), Pam Sailors (PHI), Kant Patel (PLS), Jack Llewellyn (REL), Karl Kunkel (SOC/ANT/CRM), and Victor Matthews.
- Upcoming Deadlines/Important Dates
- January 23 Staff Evaluations due to Dean
- January 23 Construction for fall 2009 ends. This is the deadline for room priorities.
- January 26 AAA (3:00 p.m., PSU 400)
- January 27 Dr. Matthews in St. Louis for recruitment purposes. Dr. Llewellyn will handle college emergencies.
- January 30 First Annual Criminal Justice Conference (1:30-5:30, PSU Ballroom West)
- February 16 Dean notifies Provost on non-renewal of 1st year faculty
- February 27 Yearly performance reviews of faculty due to Dean
- March 2 Department Annual Review due to Dean
- Dr. Matthews affirmed President Nietzel’s announcement yesterday that the hiring process would resume. Included is the search for a Department Head for the CRM department as well as searches in SOC, ECO, HST and PLS.
- Sabbaticals and the possibility of their reinstatement were discussed. Dr. Matthews stated he had received seven applications which would be judged on time sensitivity, availability of funding, and the merit of the proposal.
- Department workload policies were next discussed and Dr. Kunkel agreed to furnish each department with the SOC/ANT/CRM workload policies now in effect.
- Dr. Matthews stated that class enrollment minimums would be enforced starting in Fall ‘09. They are 20 for 100-299 level classes; 15 for 300-499 level classes; 8 for 500 level classes; and 6 for 600-700 level classes.
- With centralized scheduling proposed for classes of 100 or above, Dr. Matthews asked the Department Heads to furnish him with their departments’ applicable classes for Fall 2009 and Spring 2010.
- Dr. Matthews suggested that faculty with questions about collaborative classrooms (those able to address more than one modality) should speak with Dr. Rachelle Darabi (Associate Provost for Student Success, 6-5034).
- With only two existing blended classes in CHPA (CRM and REL), faculty interested in establishing such a class should consult Dr. Gary Rader (Director of Online Instruction, 6-6494).
- Department Heads were asked to invite their faculties to an informal going-away party on Monday (January 26, 2:00-4:00) for Nadja Gardner.
In the left hand navigation panel are links by date to the Department Heads meetings during academic year 2007-2008. This information is provided in order to facilitate the dissemination of important announcements to CHPA faculty and staff and to provide a public record of the activities of the Dean, Associate Dean, and Department Heads in the College. If you have questions about this data, please call the Dean's Office at 836-5529 or email us at CHPA@missouristate.edu.