Department Heads’ Meeting Minutes
January 17, 2008– 11:00 a.m.
Present: Brendan McKiernan (MIL), Pam Sailors (PHI/ECO), George Connor (PLS), Jack Llewellyn (REL), Karl Kunkel (SOC/ANT/CRM), Victor Matthews and Lorene Stone. Special guests were Tim Stipp, the new CHPA Budget Officer, and Margie Von der Heide (HST) representing Michael Sheng.
Dean Stone welcomed Tim Stipp who will be assisting all CHPA departments with budgeting and purchasing issues as needed.
Upcoming Deadlines/Important Dates
- January 28 AAA (3:00 p.m., PSU 400)
- January 31 Department committees submit narrative assessments of each faculty member and ratings of each of the three performance dimensions to Department Heads
- February 6 Provost Research Forum (presenters to be announced)
- February 15 Department Head tenure and promotion recommendations due to Dean
- February 28 Department Heads complete individual meetings with faculty as part of the annual performance review, composite ratings and role parameter weights
- February 28 Department Annual Report (2007) due to Dean
- March 3 Composite ratings of faculty due to Dean
- Dean Stone announced that Madeleine Kernen (MCL) is the Acting Director of the Center for International Studies.
- While awaiting the final version of the Annual Report for Academic Units—Programs and Departments (soon to appear on the Provost’s website), a draft was handed out. Department Heads were asked to look over the form and bring any specific questions to next week’s meeting.
- With spring enrollment down only slightly, Dean Stone thanked the Department Heads for adding additional seats to their general education courses.
- Searches/Hiring Updates
- Dean Stone emphasized that the rationale for hiring/ranking must be complete on the EOR before the Provost will approve. Due to the time it takes for Provost approval and background checks, it was recommended that applicants be informed that it might take several weeks for an appointment letter. Dean Stone further urged all Department Heads to encourage their faculties to go into “recruiting mode” for desirable candidates and to share ideas with one another on how to accomplish this innovatively. She also reported that negotiations are ongoing for the Strong Endowed Chair in Middle East Studies.
- Dean Stone distributed a handout of the CHPA requests for the FY09 Decision Package. She also mentioned that very little “new” money will be available next year, since the President is committed to keeping the salary pool as large as possible.
- Dean Stone reemphasized that the scholarship reassignment policy must be enforced with productivity equaling publication. She asked the Department Heads to schedule an appointment with her to discuss faculty workloads for the Fall 2008 semester.
- Staff Appraisal and Development Plans (ADPs) are due to Dean Stone for review as soon as possible and before returning them to staff. Staff should be apprised of the fact that ADPs already returned may be subject to change by the Dean, since the Dean is responsible for comparability within the Cost Center.
- Department Heads were asked to review departmental plans for assessment and student success initiatives which will be discussed at next week’s Department Heads meeting. Heads should also schedule an appointment with Martha Kirker (Center for Assessment/Instructional Support) in the next two weeks for clarification/advice of their program assessments.
- The Council (along with Tim Stipp) worked on determining a plan to distribute additional operations money. Department Heads were given a budget assignment, due to Tim by next Thursday.