Minutes - CHPA Department Heads’ Meeting
January 15, 2016
Guests: Katie Stinnett, Academic Integrity Coordinator, who made a brief presentation on the work of the Academic Integrity Council, the reporting process for academic integrity violations, grading procedures, and sanctions applied.
Present: Victor Matthews, Pam Sailors, Steve Berkwitz, Ken Brown, George Connor, Kathleen Kennedy, Andrew Johnson, David Rohall
Items for Discussion:
1. Upcoming Recruitment Events – Pam Sailors reminded the Heads of their responsibilities during the Presidential Scholarship Interviews and the Multi-Cultural Scholarship Interviews.
2. First Week of Classes – No major problems were encountered. General Ed, graduate, and overall CHPA enrollment is up by about 4% at this point. Additional reporting of enrollment data will come at the end of the 4th week census.
3. Course-evaluation instrument -- Andy Johnson reported on the work of the committee he chairs, provided a set of suggested changes, and asked for input on these suggestions. A number of comments were sent back to the committee, who will be asked to report again by the beginning of March.
4. Annual Evaluation of Faculty – The Heads were reminded of the process (see 2015-2016 Faculty Evaluation Calendar). Faculty must have updated their Digital Measures account and submitted their dossiers to Heads by February 8, 2016. Heads are to schedule personal interviews with all of their full-time faculty (completing them by April 1, 2016) and then send me a copy of their written evaluations on April 1st. If a Head’s evaluation determines that a faculty member is no longer considered “research active" a detailed explanation is necessary for that change in status.
5. Update on Faculty Searches – Four searches are underway (2 in HST; 1 in ECO; 1 in REL). They are progressing well with large pools of candidates. On campus interviews will be taking place at the end of January and in February.
6. Office 365 Changeover Process – After a trial period involving the Distributed User Specialists and other Computer Services personnel at the end of January, the scheduled changeover for faculty will take place in March with small groups being assisted as they make this transition.
7. Vendor demonstration for new Professional Learning-Management System
Thursday, January 21st from 9:00am to 10:30am – Vendor A
Friday, January29th from 9:00am to 10:30am – Vendor B
Important Dates and Deadlines:
January 18 Martin Luther King Holiday
January 19 Winter 2015 Intersession Grades due by 2:00 pm
January 25 CHPA Research Forum: Dr. Subhasree Basu Roy (ECO) will speak on "Effect of Retirement on Health Outcomes of Older Americans," at 12:00 pm in STRO 201.
January 29 ADPs due to Human Resources (copy to the Dean)
February 5 Deadline for submission of Faculty Research Grants
February 8 Faculty submit Annual Evaluation dossiers to Dept Heads (Digital Measures accounts
must be updated by this date)
February 8 Dept Heads give Probationary Faculty evaluation dossiers to Dept committee
February 9 Census Date: turn in PAFs for faculty teaching on-line classes