CHPA Department Heads’ Meeting
February 26, 2015
Present: Victor Matthews, Pam Sailors, Steve Berkwitz, Ken Brown, George Connor, Kathleen Kennedy, David Rohall, Patti Salinas
- State-Wide Severe Weather Exercise: Heads were asked to assist with this exercise on March 3 at 1:30 pm by positioning themselves in the Atrium and in the basement to manage student movement into the storm shelter.
- Workload Policies: Under the direction of the Provost, each Dean is putting together a college workload policy. A draft of the CHPA policy was given to the Heads for their feedback and they in turn are asked to share the draft with their faculty in order to obtain further comments before the policy is submitted to the Provost for approval. The final version, along with departmental workload plans, will be posted on the college website.
- Hiring Plan for FY16: Heads were asked to submit their rationale for new hires in FY16 by April 1st. The Dean will then produce a hiring plan that will be submitted to the Provost for approval.
- Kickapoo U. proposal: Further discussion was solicited on the proposal by Kickapoo High School. It was decided that the college will agree to a partnership with Kickapoo U. that will bring their students to campus during the coming academic year.
- Student Evaluation Instrument: Concerns by Andrew Johnson about the wording of some of the questions on the instrument were discussed without a final resolution or decision for changes.
- Department Offices for new faculty: Since we have some retirements and new hires there will be the expected shuffling of offices. Heads were asked to let the Dean’s office know about these changes as well as any need for per course or instructors to be moved to accommodate new faculty in the fall semester.
- Scholarship Application Procedures: David Rohall raised some concerns about the computer-based system and in particular about unqualified students who appear on scholarship applicant rosters. No one else mentioned similar problems and he was encouraged to work with the scholarship coordinator in the Foundation office.
Dates and Deadlines:
February 26 African-American History Month Event: Prof. Robert Hill (UCLA) will speak on “Marcus Garvey and the Fallen Angel”, 4:00-5:30 pm @LIB 101.
March 2 Deadline to build basic schedule of course offerings for summer and fall 2015
March Women’s History Month (a schedule of events is being prepared and will be distributed and placed on the website calendar next week)
March 9-15 Spring Break
March 13 Deadline for Faculty to submit Equity Adjustment to Department Heads
March 15 Deadline for submission of International Travel Fund requests
March 18 Mid-term spring 2015 Grades must be submitted by 10:00 am
March 20 Religion in South Asia Conference (w/ six presenters from MSU, MU, Wash U., U. Kansas, U. Oklahoma); 9:00 am – 4:15pm, @PSU 317
March 25-27 Statewide Collaborative Diversity Conference, PSU
March 27 Faculty applicants for Tenure/Promotion begin discussion with Heads on selection of
March 27 Department Heads submit Equity Adjustment Requests to Deans with Rationale
March 31 Dept Heads prepare and Deans send PAFs for Promotion to Provost’s Office
March 31 Summer and Fall 2015 – Sequenced Registration opens