Department Heads’ Meeting Minutes
February 21, 2008 – 11:00 a.m.
Present: In attendance: Mark Rushefsky (PLS), Pam Sailors (PHI/ECO), Brendan McKiernan (MIL), Jack Llewellyn (REL), Karl Kunkel (SOC/ANT/CRM), Michael Sheng (HST), Victor Matthews (Associate Dean), and Lorene Stone (Dean).
Upcoming Deadlines/Important Dates
- February 25 Applications for Faculty Research & Curriculum Grants (SP08) due
- February 25 AAA, 3:00 p.m., PSU 400
- February 28 Department heads complete individual meetings with faculty as part of the annual performance review and composite ratings and role parameter weights
- February 28 Department Annual Report (2007) due to Dean
- March 3 Composite ratings of faculty due to Dean
- Dean Stone informed the department heads that five CHPA sabbatical proposals were considered by the University Leave Committee.She reported that all proposals were funded by the dean’s office, thereby eliminating the need for the College Committee to meet.The following faculty members were granted sabbaticals for the 2008-2009 academic year: Bob Miller (HST), and John Chuchiak (HST).The following faculty member has been granted a sabbatical for Spring 2009 – Fall 2009: Suzanne Walker (ANT).The following faculty members were granted sabbaticals for the Spring 2009 semester: Patrick Scott (PLS), and Terrel Gallaway (ECON).
- Dean Stone reported that Academic Council has been re-titled to Academic Leadership Council.
- The CHPA Incentive Initiative Awards Committee will meet on Tuesday (2/26/08) to decide on the awards for Spring 2008.Dean Stone was once again pleased to mention that we had a large number of requests; therefore, not all would be funded.The Dean reminded the department heads that if a project is awarded and is research based, a separate account will need to be set up through financial services.The money awarded cannot be carried over to the next academic year – it must be spent by June 30, 2008.
- Dean Stone asked the department heads to read through the Provost’s latest Memo to the Faculty.She said it would be a good idea for department heads to attend the open forum if they are available.The forum will be Friday, Feb. 22, at 3:00 p.m. in the PSU 400.
- The CHPA Faculty have been polled regarding Equity Money vs. New Line(s).Each department head reported that the majority of their faculty desired salary savings to increase equity monies instead of creating new lines.Dean Stone would like to give CHPA faculty salaries a boost in this way if possible.
- Dean Stone also discussed Extended Campus Funds and the Operations Budget for 2008-2009.She pointed out that, as everyone already knows, cost centers are now in charge of online, intersession, and evening courses.She further stated telecourses will be added to that list for next year.She requested that the department heads prepare an operating budget for 2008-2009, in which specific items and needs are listed in specific categories. This type of budget prediction will allow some flexibility in the system, along with further accountability which will lead to increased standardization for all of the departments.
- The Senior Instructor Policy was discussed.This is a new rank for instructors requiring rigorous criteria be met.Some department guidelines have this in place already.A University-level committee will be working on required criteria.
- Dean Stone proposed a CHPA Dean’s Fellow in Advisement.She handed out a copy of a proposal written by Dr. Mike Carlie and asked everyone to read over the memo and give her feedback regarding this position.This is an excellent opportunity for the departments to create a uniform website for students to get information and find answers to their advising questions.Each department will be in charge of their own website; however, Dr. Mike Carlie can be a vital resource and give advice where needed.