Department Heads’ Meeting Minutes
February 15, 2007 – 11:00 a.m.
Michael Sheng (HST), Brendan McKiernan (MIL), Pam Sailors (PHI/ECO), Jim Moyer (REL), Karl Kunkel (SOC/ANT/CRM), Lorene Stone and Victor Matthews.
- Upcoming Deadlines/Important Dates
February 21 Per Course Plans for Fall 2007 due to Dean Stone
February 26 AAA (PSU 400, 3:00-4:30 p.m.)
February 26 Application deadline for spring semester Faculty Research and University grants.(February 21 for Dean Stone’s signature)
March 1 Annual Department Reports due to Dean Stone
March 2 Department Head narrative reviews and tentative performance ratings for compensation plan due to Dean Stone.
- Dean Stone will be on vacation on February 20; Dr. Matthews will handle any College emergencies.
- Dean Stone reported that Academic Council’s agenda this week included the insight that catalog descriptions are often difficult for students to interpret; therefore, 4-year curriculum plans will need to be on department websites and updated regularly on curricular changes.
- Also mentioned at Academic Council was the plan to revamp Department Profiles which will be changing in format next year.Dr. Matthews agreed to contact Rob Hornberger (Enrollment Services) for college data.
- Dean Stone announced that CHPA’s Spring Commencement (May 18, 2007) will be held at 5:00 p.m.Tentative plans include both a student speaker (Sean King, SGA president) and a guest speaker (Annie Busch, who will receive an honorary doctorate in Public Affairs).
- As announced at the All-College meeting, applications are due by February 16 for the new CHPA Dean’s Fellow in Public Relations.
- Dean Stone announced that the Provost wants to develop more formalized Post-Retirement and Phased Retirement Plans.The Post-Retirement Plan will include a 3-year maximum for teaching after retirement with less than a .50 load.Phased retirement plans will include having to submit a retirement letter with a firm date commitment.Dean Stone emphasized that each case will be looked at individually.
Dean Stone distributed handouts of Compa ratios, based on 2006-2007 CUPA average salaries by rank and discipline.The range of ratios was discussed.Dean Stone will be meeting with the CHPA compensation committee today.